Adjustment

It was an adjustment, after moving back to the city. 

Violet had to constantly remind herself that they weren't being followed or hunted down. Their names were clear. She and her siblings were safe now, safer than they'd been in years.

Klaus had to force himself to stop reaching for his commonplace book. It would be best for him to live in the moment. It was no longer life-or-death if he didn't know something.

Sunny had to always be aware of herself. She had developed a habit of baring her teeth at people she didn't know. She was 6. She had to stop.

It was an adjustment to settle into a routine that was so mundane in comparison to what they'd been through.

It was an adjustment to make friends. Violet and Klaus had gone so long without having friends. It had been months and months since they'd seen the Quagmires, who were still involved with VFD, and years since the friends they'd had stopped talking to them after the fire. Sunny had never had any friends except the Quagmires.

It was an adjustment for Violet to call a handyman for something she couldn't fix around the house. 

It was an adjustment for Klaus to once again frequent the public library and have someone else to talk to about his reading and research.

It was an adjustment for Sunny when she first went to school and spent a day away from her siblings.

It was an adjustment to find adults they could rely on. For Sunny, it was her teacher, Ms. Ringness, who understood that Sunny's intellect was far greater than most six-year-olds and nurtured her love of learning. For Klaus, it was his school librarian, Ms. Marchand, with whom he could be himself. For Violet, it was Mary Susland, the mother of a friend of Sunny's, who gave her advice on raising her sister and Beatrice and offered to babysit her young girls.

It was an adjustment for the siblings to be living only with each other, now that Violet was 18. It was an adjustment to be going back to school, and for Violet to be studying for her GED and driver's license.

And it was an adjustment when Beatrice began to bring friends around. It was an adjustment to hear two 8-year-old voices laughing- was an adjustment to hear laughter again in their lives. 

In short, it was an adjustment to be back in the city again, but Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire were more than happy to adjust.