Loss

"I miss..." Sunny sighed. "I miss everything."

Sunny spoke suddenly, and with no preamble, but her siblings understood her perfectly. They hardly had to speak to make their feelings known to each other. Besides, both Violet and Klaus were feeling the same way.

"I miss being a child," Sunny went on.

"You're still a child, Sunny," Violet told her.

"Not the way I want to be. For all I know, the world thinks I'm a murderer and an arsonist, a liar and a fugitive, but..." Sunny looked down. "Well, only some of those things are true, and then only partly." Sunny laughed suddenly. "Do you remember when Olaf told us to cook for him?"

"Sunny..." Klaus shook his head. "Of course I remember that. How could I forget? That was the first time I had ever been struck in the face." Klaus put a hand to his left cheek. "He picked you up and held you as if he was going to drop you. His friends harassed Violet, I..." Klaus couldn't go on.

"Oh, Klaus, I'm so sorry. That isn't what I meant. I'm remembering the first time I ever helped anyone prepare food and the way we felt when the food was cooking in the kitchen and when we were with Justice Strauss and how sweet she was." Sunny put a hand on her brother's shoulder. "I didn't mean what happened later. I just missed feeling innocent, and having good, innocent fun." Sunny bit her lip. "I miss Justice Strauss."

"I miss her too," Klaus said, and then burst into tears. Violet and Sunny hugged Klaus and soon found that they were both crying as well. 

"You know what I miss?" Violet asked them, finally, as her tears abated.

"What, Violet?" Klaus responded.

"I miss Prufrock. I know that it was really a horrible place, a horrible experience, on the whole, but we at least had friends there. Good, honest, noble friends. I miss the part of our friendship where we didn't have to risk our lives to save each other. But most of all, I miss Isadora and Duncan and Quigley- oh, I know we didn't meet him at Prufrock, but it was as if we were introduced to him there too. He's so like them."

"Well, I miss the Queequeg. It felt almost like family on the submarine, with Fiona and Phil, and even though she broke my heart, I cherished the time I had with her, and you in the sub," said Klaus.

It seemed the Baudelaires had no more tears to shed for the past, so they hugged each other tightly and laughed instead.