Chapter 15: Lost Love

Start from the beginning

"You cannot leave me," my past self grabbed their hand, and I wanted nothing more than let go and run away, realizing who this was. "You promised me you wouldn't let yourself die. You swore on it! You can't go! Not now!"

"Yeah, well, I've made a lot of promises I couldn't keep," the figure coughed again, this time more heavily. "Like, the promise I made to m'lady. I swore that one day I'd have her hand. And, I broke that promise the day I met you..." He paused, after a weak chuckle. "So far, I've only fulfilled one promise I've ever made..."

"And what was that..?" I had asked, and I felt small tears stream down my cheeks, causing a burning sensation in my eyes.

"I promised myself, the day that I realized how I felt about you, that I would do anything to protect you. Anything to ensure your safety, Captain. Even if that meant letting go of my unrequited feelings for you... Which, I'm afraid to admit, that I was never able to fully let go of... even after you rejected me..," he paused once more, and through the blurred face, I was able to make out, a small, forced smile. "You'd think being rejected from m'Lady ------ so very often, that it wouldn't hurt as much... But, unfortunately, that is not the case with you, Garroth... I don't think I'll ever be able to let go of my feelings for you. Even in the afterlife..."

I hadn't answered him, and instead turned away. I felt more tears burn at my eyes. They felt like the only tears I hath shed in years upon years. I had a distaste for thy feeling.

"I love you, Garroth..."

My head had snapped back in their direction, holding their hand tighter than before. Or, rather, perhaps they were squeezing my hand tighter than before. Either way, the air was thick with tension. As the young man's lifeforce began to slip away.

"...I love you, too, Laurance..."

Wait--

~~~

I snapped to, realizing I had not blacked out for long. I was able to come to this conclusion, based on the very fact that the sobbing Laurance was still tear rather upset, having not noticed my own collapsing. His tear-filled, pale blue eyes turned in my direction, as he furrowed his eyebrows in vexation.

"Why do you keep staring at me, asshole?"

Thou glared at me, though I was unable to comprehend truly anything. My mouth was dry, and I was at a complete loss for words. My theory hath been proven. The man in my vision undoubtly carried the name, 'Laurance'. However, nothing made any sense, whatsoever.

If he hath passed away...how is it that he is here to this day?

"Just get on with it!" Laurance had jumped to his feet, crossing his arms. "Go and tell everyone how freaking pathetic I am! Go ahead!"

"What tis making thou so upset?"

I stood, staring at him intensely. I had decided to leave my memory as just that. A memory. Who even knows if it is real... I could be imagining things to assure myself I am indeed not insane... Or, perhaps, that is in fact the truth. I am merely insane.

"What the hell are you talking about?" He frantically wiped away his tears, as if he hadn't just broke down into tears.

"Who is this, 'he'? It's not the first time this mysterious being from thou's past. It tis not my business, seeing as I am in fact a stranger... But, perhaps, your conflicting attitudes towards I cam be changed...if we were better acquainted..."

"What happened to you?" Laurance stared at me, in utter confusion. "Not five minutes ago, you were beating the crap out of the wall."

"I want to know... I want to know how to make sense of everything..."

Laurance's eyes shifted to the ground. The silence in the air lingered for far too long. Until, surprisingly, he spoke up. "...I loved him more than anything in the world. He was my everything," he began to choke up, and I started to feel bad for Laurance. I hated it. "But...he's no longer with us... He passed away years ago. And I try every-fucking-day to get over it! And I can't! And then, you show up! You and your stupid pretty face, and your lovely blond-hair and your beautiful cyan eyes! You remind me too much of him! I hate you for it! I just want him back!"

I watched Laurance break down even more. I could not allow this suffering to go on any longer, no matter how much I had a distaste for him. "What... Does thou hath a name?"

"...What?"

"Thou have not gave unto me a name," I began to subconsciously ring my hands together. "Does your...ex-lover hath one?"

"Of course he had a name," Laurance rolled his eyes at me, overdramatically.

"Then, what tis it?"

"His name was--" he froze, eyes wide. I rose my eyebrow at him in confusion. "It was... Um... His name... Don't look at me like that! I-I... Why the fuck can't I remember it?! Irene... His name..."

"Does thou not remember..? Has 't been too long of a time frame?"

"Shut up! I know it! But, for some reason, it completely escaped my mind... DANTE! TRAVIS!"

Laurance ran out of the room, darting down the small hallway. I hesitantly followed after him, though at a much slower pace. I watched from the doorway, as he shook the blue-haired Dante awake.

"My Irene, Laurance, it's late... What the heck are you doing?" Dante groaned, rolling over to face Laurance.

"What was his name?!" Laurance frantically asked.

"Who-?"

"My l-- my ex-boyfriend! What was his name?!" He cried, clearly in a panic. I had not witnessed him so vulnerable, before.

"It was--" Dante froze as well, as if he knew what he wanted to say, but for some reason, it didn't come out. "It was...um... Geez, Laur', I don't remember... He was your boyfriend, why don't you remember?"

"I don't know!"

He screamed out in frustration, pushing past me in the doorway, repeating the process with the white-haired Travis, who also was unaware of the name. This led to Laurance running down the stairs, grabbing a coat, and running out the front door.

"Laurance!" Dante called out the door, tiredly. He sighed, turning around. "My Irene..."

"Where tis he going?" I asked, walking up to the doorway, and glancing out of it, to see Laurance storming down the roadway.

"I don't know," Dante turned around, starting back up the stairs. "It's Laurance. He could be going to complain, anywhere. He'll be better in the morning..."

"Should I...go after him?"

"Do what you want, bro."

I began out the door, stopping once I realized how dark the night was. "Does thou hath a torch I may borrow, perhaps?"

"Yup, sure thing bud." He left up the stairs. After a moment, Dante returned, and handed me an unlit torch. I waited for him to retrieve a match, but he didn't move. "Oh, right...you don't know how technology works...Here."

He pressed a button on the side of the torch, causing a bright light to emit from it. I stared down at it in awe. What a peculiar thing.

"Have fun."

Dante returned to his sleeping room, and I made my way out of the room. Never in a million years, would I ever have guessed, that I would spend my night searching for Laurance...

~~~