Chapter 13: Infant?

I felt a light weight upon my arms. Whatever I held, was small in size. I could not make out what the object was, and curiosity was prying at me.

When the world came to, I noticed that I held a rather small infant. Tears pricked at the corners of it's baby blue eyes. Quite loudly, the child sobbed. Obviously, my instinct must've been to shush the child, rocking it in my arms. While this occurred, it had just hit me.

This infant, is the only being I hath met within a dream, in which I could make out all of it's features. From the sparkle in it's large blue eyes, to the light blonde strands of hair, that laid atop it's skull... Wait...I question the thought...whose child is this? I recognize it not, like most things... Has this familiar glint in it's eyes, though.

"Well lookie who I found down here," a distorted, feminine voice giggled from the side of me. Turning my head ever so slightly, I met eyes with a small woman, whose appearance was blurred out, as per usual.

"M'lady, a word," I sighed softly, returning my gaze back to the child, who had fallen to sleep. "I'm sorry I did not inform you, of my arrival. But, I have some news..," I sighed once again, strangely being able to feel a tear, which formed in the corner of my eye. "...about Levin's origins..."

Wait, "Levin"? Levin...being the first name I hath been able to hear in one of these acclaimed dreams... Odd... Why is that?

"Oh no..," she muttered under her breath, as she took careful steps towards me. Her hand rested against the infant's forehead, as a small sigh escaped her lips. If I were able to see her expressions, I could only imagine the amount of pain she'd show... For, what I gathered from the situation at hand...this infant could be hers...

"Yes...it seems a mother somewhere in the South region, past the ocean, has reported her baby boy missing. The reports came in just this morning...seeing as it's so far South, they didn't reach us in time. But...I mean, I want to see Levin home safely, that is for sure," oh, perhaps I was wrong. Maybe he is not her child... "But, I don't trust it, ------, so...what I want to ask of you is... Will you go and investigate it? I don't want to send Levin on a trip across sea, only to find out it's not the same child she's missing. He could get hurt, or worse! So I want to ask you, -------, will you go and make sure this is her baby? I'll send you with a crystal that contains his image, so you can assure her he's safe if he is here. Just...I need to make sure. Will you do this?"

The woman stood still for a moment, contemplating her options, presumably. Her hands shook lightly, as she gently rubbed her blurred thumb across the baby's cheek. She gave a small nod, almost whispering, "of course..."

Even though I knew of no context of the situation at hand, I could feel my own heart breaking. The woman stood in silence, staring sadly at the child I held- Levin. I wish I remembered more than just this. I wish I could sympathize with what she's going through, like the me from the past most likely did...

"Thank you. I know you of all people have the most on the line here. I will take absolute care of Levin while you are gone...just...prepare yourself. I have never been to the South, and goodness knows what's out there."

"Right..."

Once again, she nodded. And this time, I was able to hear faint sobs. Her head dropped, as she made her way back out of, what appeared to be a nursery. I looked at the infant, still in my arms. His eyes had reopened, as he began to sob once more. Louder than before. As I frantically search for a way to shush him, the scene began to fade away, returning to reality...

~~~

"Garroth~! Garroth! You okay?"

I snapped to, looking around my surroundings. The sounds of a child's cries echoing throughout my ears. Lady Aphmau held my shoulders, as she looked up at I, with such worry in her eyes.