Protect Me

Jim x reader
Italics=dream

I am standing in a crowded room where everyone is talking, seeming to be having a great time. However, I am looking for something, someone that is hiding from me.

Red hair come into my line of vision, playing peek-a-boo through the chattering groups of people. My breath catches in my throat. 'No, it can't be him.'

As soon as I come out of my trance, I turn on my heel and try to push my way through the crowd.

'No, he can't catch me this time. I can't do this again!' My breathing quickens its pace and I keep turning my head to make sure he isn't behind me. I keep going, nothing can stop me now!
'Haha, sucker!'

I'm almost to the exit when I turn my head around to see the smiling maniac in front of me. "Hi gorgeous. Miss me?"

I start to run out the door, but scream when he grabs my arm.

"Noooo!!!" I yell at the top of my lungs as I sit up in my bed. I gasp for air while taking in my surroundings: bed, TV, dresser, bathroom, covers, Jim- he is awake and has a look of terror and worry beaming across his face.

I feel defeated inside and just fall into his embrace. I cry until there are no more tears left, all the while Jim just caresses my arms, legs, back and face.
He pulls my head back from his shoulder and wipes my tear-soaked cheeks.

I can't look him in the eyes, afraid that he will judge me like everyone else. "Hey, do you want to sit in the tub for a while? Let me wash you?"

I hesitate, not wanting him to touch me or see the way I look underneath the comfort of clothes again. "It'll make you feel better and I promise that I will never hurt you... like him." I take a deep, ragged breath and force a small smile as I whisper, "I know you won't."

He kisses my forehead, he does this because he knows it makes me feel safe, and goes to run the water into the tub for me.

After he leaves, I decide to get up and go to the kitchen for a drink of water to calm my nerves. My nerves have gotten worse over the past few weeks. And maybe I'm overreacting, but I feel as though the dark walls of Arkham can't hold the over ambitious monster from my dreams for long.

As soon as I down my glass of water, I place it in the sink and walk to the bathroom.

I see that Jim has placed a few bath bombs into the water and lit a few candles on the shelves. The cinnamon scent fills the room and pleasantly suffocates my nostrils.

I slip off my clothes dip into the warm, soapy water, letting out a breath I hadn't realized I had been holding in.

My mind doesn't even pick up that Jim is gone until he walks through the door.

He gets down on his knees and dips a wash cloth into the tub. I notice him reach for my forearm, but pull back when he sees the scars. "Don't get the wrong idea. He did this whe-whenever he would get angry..."

I can feel him start to tense up, "He did a lot of things when he was angry, didn't he?"

He washes my body and continues to shake his head, "If I ever get my hands on him... let's just say I hope I'm not at work because I might lose my job."

"Stop." I grab his hand. He glances up, waiting for my words. But instead of words, I lean in to kiss him softly.
"I love you, James Gordon. Thank you for being the definition of everything I need."