We Are Alive

Lloyd watched numbly as the small boat drifted down the narrow canal. He wanted to cry as he leaned into his mother's comforting embrace, but no tears would come. So much had happened in such little time. He could barely process the thoughts that swam through his mind. 

    Eventually, Nya anchored the boat next to a rundown shack that had obviously been abandoned. Everyone got off the boat and shuffled into the neglected building in total silence. 

    Misako found a small lantern and lit it. The glow of the fire seemed make the room gloomier instead of brighter as they sat down on the dusty floorboards and looked at Lloyd, waiting for him to speak.

    Were the others aware of the tragedy that had taken place? No, thought Lloyd dejectedly. He saw the confident gleam in Nya's eyes as she looked at him expectantly. How could he tell her that her brother, boyfriend, and the rest of the team were dead? 

    Pixal had taken off her helmet and just sat there, awaiting for Lloyd to let them know what they should do next. She had a hopeful look in her eyes as well. Lloyd couldn't bear to tell her that the love of her life had died for a second time. 

    Misako, Lloyd's mother, seemed to have a small idea that something was amiss, but she stayed silent. 

    Nya shattered the uneasy silence that hung over them. "What now?"

    With those two words, Lloyd lost it. The tears that had not seemed to want come earlier now streamed down his face. 

    "Lloyd, what's wrong?" pressed Nya. She felt a sense of anxiety wash over her. What happened? What did Harumi do?

    Lloyd just cried harder. He put his hands over his face in an attempt to suppress his sobs.

    Nya went over to give Lloyd a comforting hug when he forcibly shoved her away. She backed slowly away from Lloyd, stunned that he would just roughly push her away from him.

    "They... She... No—," stuttered Lloyd. He was trying to let them know what happened, but no coherent words would come out.

    Gradually, Lloyd began to calm down. The tears did not stop flowing, but he was able to choke out in a voice barely above a whisper, "They... Are... Gone."

    Both Nya and Misako broke down at the news. Even though Misako was not close to most of the ninja, she was still saddened by their deaths. Lloyd explained through his tears how he threw Wu onto the Bounty in hopes of saving him, but then the Colossi grabbed the Bounty and crushed it with everyone still aboard.

    Nya was sobbing uncontrollably. Outside, the storm that had stopped now started again. Lightning crackled in the sky and the rain fell in sheets. She couldn't believe that they were really gone. At first, she felt her heart rip open and a feeling of great despair and sorrow came over her. Then she felt pure rage. Harumi and Garmadon were going to pay for this!

    Lloyd was a bit disturbed by Pixal's reaction. She just froze. The look of hope in her eyes was nowhere to be found. It was replaced with a look of... nothing. She seemed to be devoid of any life.

    They sat there and mourned for a few minutes, but their grieving was interrupted by the wild cry of Ultra Violet from somewhere close by. The Sons of Garmadon were coming for them. 

    "We have to leave. Now!" said Lloyd urgently. 

    "Where can we go?" asked Misako. "The Sons of Garmadon are everywhere."

    "I bet Skylor would will help us out," murmured Nya. 

    "That's a good idea," agreed Lloyd. "Let's go!"