Last-Ditch Effort

The Resistance had hunkered down in the basement of a citizen kind and brave enough to offer assistance to the struggling rebels. They were even generous enough to provide a meager amount of food for them.

    "So... uh, whaddya think, Skylor?" questioned Lloyd as he finished proposing his plan. He nervously picked at the bandage around his shoulder and stuttered, "I—I know it's a lot and really risky. I'll give you time to think it over, but you're one of, if not the most powerful Elemental Master. You're the only person capable of matching Garmadon for power."

    Skylor shut her eyes, considering her options. She sighed after a long moment and opened her amber eyes to meet Lloyd's in an unwavering gaze. "I'll do it."

    The Resistance broke out in relieved applause. 

    A high-pitched whoop came from the corner, "Yes! Show those rats what for!"

    Curious, everyone in the room stared at a large rat that was apparently talking. They all went wide-eyed and slack-jawed.

    Nya gritted out to Lloyd with comically wide eyes, "Uh, is that rat talking to us?"

    Lloyd gritted back, "Yes. I believe it is."

    Dareth, who was nearest to the creature, destroyed the tense silence with a piercing shriek as he panicked and fell out of his chair. He began clattering around for a weapon of some sort while repeatedly chanting, "Ah! Rat, rat, rat, rat. Rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat, rat."

    He located a mop while the rest of the Resistance still stood frozen in shock. As he brought the mop down to crush the creature, the rat suddenly morphed into the familiar form of Mystaké who caught the mop midway with her hands and flung it off to the side.

    The elderly woman had a displeased expression as she began berating the Resistance, completely disregarding their utter bewilderment. "First you leave me in Hiroshi's Labyrinth, make a whole plan without my guidance, then you try smashing me?! And right after I saved your tails too. Whatever happened to respecting your elders? Hmph."

    Lloyd, whose brain was still stuck trying to comprehend the situation, simply squeaked out, "Um... I'm sorry." Aw man, he knew something had been off on the return trip. 

    This seemed to abate Mystaké's anger slightly. "Very well. I suppose your apology is accepted. Now, you all quit staring and close your mouths. I don't need to see the back of your throats, thank you very much."

    Their jaws all obediently shut.

    Griffin was the first to pipe up, "So... you related to Chamille or something?"

    "Chamille? Never heard of her!" waved off the woman in full Mystaké fashion.

    Lloyd scratched his head, beginning to question, "Then—"

    He was cutoff by Mystaké barking out, "I'm an Oni, my dear boy!"

    By now, everyone was even more stupefied.

    "Bu— what?! How?!" spluttered Nya. "Why didn't you tell us sooner?!"

    The old lady tilted her head and blinked owlishly at the Water Ninja. Her tone made it seem as if the answer was the most obvious thing in the Realm. "You never asked."

    Nya let out a frustrated growl. "Well, why would we ask something so specific like that?!" Her scalding gaze swept the room. "Does anyone else wanna admit they're an Oni or some other weird creature? Speak now or forever hold your peace!"