Desperate Alliances

Another long chapter, 8,000+ words.

    The night sky seemed to grow darker and the air colder as Firstbourne flew over the outskirts of Oni territory. She rumbled to her passengers, "I am taking the long way to my Armor. I feel the greedy eyes of the Oni over us."

    "I sense danger," stated Zane.

    "Same," agreed Jay, staring into the inky black abyss that was Oni territory.

    Nothing could have prepared the Mother of All Dragons and her passengers for what they found when they landed in the heart of the Realm.

    Opollyon stood tall and haughty, blocking the entrance to the heart of the Realm. He was backed by his legions of Oni.

    Firstbourne reared up, nearly throwing her passengers. She roared in raw fury at her mortal enemies, "YOUR VILE PRESENCE DESECRATES THIS SACRED PLACE!"

    The Ninja and Wu abandoned ship as Firstbourne clawed the ground and her body heated up, preparing to rain down fire on the Oni. 

    Opollyon raised his staff, addressing the Dragon Queen in a mocking tone, "Wait, oh Queen. Attacking us is ill-advised. You risk harm to yourself."

    He motioned and the Oni parted, allowing for a shaking Iron Baron to walk forward. In all honesty, the leader of the Dragon Hunters looked like a child playing dress up as the Dragon Armor hung from his body awkwardly, pinching in all the wrong places.

    Firstbourne gave another bellowing roar of rage. "HOW DARE YOU DON MY ARMOR! IT WAS NOT MADE FOR UNWORTHY SOULS TO BEAR!"

    To the Ninja's surprise, the great Dragon did not tear into the Oni and lay waste to their ranks though her whole body shook with tense, furious energy.

    Opollyon's lips curled into a twisted, gloating smile. He purred patronizingly as if the Mother of all Dragons was a mere lapdog, "Good girl." Firstbourne snorted, spurting a stream of flames from her nostrils. "You cannot touch us." He reached out a clawed hand, lightly scraping against the Armor in warning. He gave a derisive laugh as Firstbourne flinched minutely. "To hurt the Armor is to hurt you."

    The Ninja were caught off guard and barely managed to stay upright when the ground began to tremble violently. Their jaws dropped when a portal opened up behind the Oni.

    Opollyon's eyes flashed with delight as he ordered his troops through it. He shoved Iron Baron over into Oases claws who directed the man toward the portal. 

    The leader of the Oni smirked up at the giant Dragon and motioned toward the portal. "Where the Armor goes, you follow."

    With a contemptuous snarl, Firstbourne unwillingly stepped forward. She couldn't afford to let something so precious to her out of her sight, especially with it in the hands of her enemies. She kept her head lifted high and, for good measure, reduced a group of Oni to ashes to remind them that she was still herself and was not tamed by them.

    Ultra tried following his Queen, but she growled at him, ordering him to stay back.

    The Ninja stood huddled together, concerned over where the portal led. So much for protecting the First Realm. Now who knew what else could be threatened by the Oni.

    Zane felt a sharp pain in his power core and screams of agony rang through his mind. Something was terribly wrong. He urgently murmured to his brothers as he watched Firstbourne step through, "We must close that gateway."

    "But how?" questioned Kai.

    "A blast of our powers?" suggested Jay.

    The Ninja were pulled from their plotting as Opollyon gave a chilling laugh. "Don't think I've forgotten about you."