Leap of Faith

Kai and his parents reforged the Golden Weapons as fast as humanly possible, working away like men possessed. They were careful to wear thick gloves and not come in direct contact with the metal. Despite their haste, it was still a slow going process as they tried to create the detailed weapons while not vaporizing themselves. It was very reminiscent of the time Ray and Maya had to rapidly forge the Chronosteel Blades. 

    Just as they were halfway through finishing their second Golden Weapon, the Shurikens of Ice, Lloyd and the others flew in. Zane practically collapsed in the middle of the monastery courtyard. His strength was drained from maintaining his Elemental Dragon for so long and bearing so much weight.

    The Green Ninja ominously informed his team, "They are coming."

    He glanced back at the others who had flown in with him. They had lost some of the Hunters in the skyfight as their Dragons acted up, following Firstbourne's orders. Jet Jack, Muzzle, and Chew Toy were all that remained. Ultra Violet and Killow's mount was the only Dragon that returned with them, thanks to the two's surprisingly ingenious thinking.

    From the returning team's solemn expressions and missing people, it was clear things had not gone perfectly. Garmado gently guided the shell-shocked mother and son inside. They had both been transported to safety by Muzzle.

    The Ninja gasped sharply as they looked at the frozen figures of Cole and Harumi. Ultra Violet explained what had happened and who they had saved. There were hushed discussions of who would wield the Scythe of Quakes and who could complete their Tornado of Creation. There were no solutions.

    Lloyd quietly stole away to a darkened corner in the forge, harshly wiping away the frustrated tears that had sprung up in his eyes with his sleeve. He didn't want to watch more people suffer and die. He didn't want to quit on them, but how were they supposed to overcome such an overwhelming enemy?

    Noticing the saddened, hunched form of the Green Ninja, Ray and Maya nodded over to their son who quit hammering away at the hunk of shining metal and immediately rushed to his brother's side. "How're you holding up, buddy?"

    "Barely," replied Lloyd tiredly. He swallowed back tears before daring to voice his fears. "I don't know how we're gonna win this. Cole–"

    "Wouldn't want us to give up," finished Kai, though it clearly pained him to think of their fallen brother. "We've come so far and endured so much. He'd want us to finish the fight."

    Lloyd couldn't help but grumble, "Why'd he have to go and sacrifice himself for just two people?!"

    Zane unexpectedly showed up beside them. His eyes were dimmed from exhaustion as he sagely replied, "For the same reason you still fight against the Oni despite the dwindling odds and population: to protect those who cannot protect themselves. We all fight for more than just our own survival. We fight for the survival of others as well. The path of a hero is never easy, but it is the path we have chosen to traverse." 

    To their surprise, he reached out a trembling hand to firmly grasp the Shurikens of Ice. He kept his breathing even, focusing on the comforting feel of the power of his Element thrumming through the glowing metal and not the fear of it overloading his circuits.

    "I wish I could sense the outcome of this final battle. I must admit, the odds are not in our favor; but if there is one thing I have learned after fighting alongside you after all these years, it is that numbers do not win a battle." 

    Jay and Nya joined them, somehow sensing where their team had gone and overhearing what they had been talking about. The Blue Ninja had a bittersweet expression on his face as he declared, trying to keep his tone light but ultimately failing, "And if we win, we're definitely going to find a way to revive that dirtclod and everyone else in Ninjago. And if we lose... we'll see him on the other side."