Chapter 18: An Insecurity

Start from the beginning

"But your Toucannon didn't get hit," Ash reminded her. His voice sounded bitter, almost like it would when he would lose a big battle. This wasn't the same thing, Clemont knew, but it certainly reminded him of it.

"I would call it luck, but it was really thanks to your support," Kahili insisted to Ash. Her fury finally fell away in order for a smile to break through. Clemont had to admit that with the smile, Kahili was a strikingly beautiful woman, especially with her golf cap removed. Not as beautiful as Korrina of course (and he would never admit he thought anyone else was), but still beautiful nonetheless.

"She's right," Lionel said. Clemont looked over to see the older man kneel down to where Ash was on the floor and reach over to help him up. "You did great. And without you holding Guzma off, we never would have wrapped up as many Skull grunts as we did."

It didn't escape Clemont, from both of their facial expressions and individual body languages, that neither he nor Ash felt they had contributed much. It did, however, bring a question into Clemont's mind. "Uh, Mr. Lionel, if I can ask, though...what were you doing in Malie City?"

Lionel didn't answer immediately, pulling Ash to his feet as Pikachu rested on his shoulder. Once he had, and his Pokémon were all putting their attentions on the same thing as their trainer, the dark-skinned man finally answered. "Come now, Clemont, I know you're aware of that."

It seemed cryptic, almost, like he didn't want to really share in the company present. Then, Kahili scoffed.

"You can drop the act," she said brusquely. Hapu's gaze slid over to her friend, but she still said nothing. "You were in the library studying the history of Alola. I saw you. And you can't hide your connection to the Pokémon League."

"How is it you are aware of that?" Aidan asked. Clemont took a quick look around, noticing the Pokémon Center was now void of all except their party. Most had seemingly cleared out with the presence of the captive Team Skull while he'd turned his focus elsewhere. Aidan walked forward, as if to confront Kahili, showcasing his usual adherence to the rules. Lionel headed it off, holding a hand out.

"They're going to be members of the League themselves, or am I wrong?" he asked, keeping his eyes on Ash. No one else was moving, unless one counted Samson's head as he observed the whole deal with slight fascination.

"We've been invited," Kahili said simply. "Myself, as Island Champion, and Hapu as a Kahuna."

"Kahuna? !" Ash and Clemont yelled simultaneously. Clemont, in particular, wheeled around to look at the shorter woman, still relatively calm; almost deceptively so. It was suddenly so obvious! He should have seen it, the blond realized, given how strong Hapu had shown herself. His inability to recognize it made him grit his teeth.

"You didn't tell them," was Kahili's response to the shorter woman.

"Didn't bring it up," Hapu answered. She quickly bowed to the two boys. "I'm sorry for not telling you."

"Then you're the Kahuna of Poni Island," Clemont confirmed, running through all the Kahunas in his head. Nanu seemed to have already left the city for wherever, but he was certainly the Kahuna of Ula'ula, which left her as the single one, same as her island.

"In name," was Hapu's laconic answer. "However, yes, the Pokémon League, under Professor Kukui, has extended an invitation to myself and Kahili to become members of its Elite Four. Whether we take it or not..."

"I see," Aidan commented. He pushed up on his glasses, choosing to look unperturbed by it all, despite his near outburst. "Then you'll be heading to the meeting on Mount Lanakila."