Chapter 4: A Problem

I was genuinely surprised by how well-received last chapter was. I hope this chapter lives up to expectations. That said, time for Chapter 4!

Chapter 4

A Problem

Clemont heaved a sigh as he lowered himself into the seat next to Serena. It was quite audible, even among the wildly energetic crowd. For a brief moment, his brain was allowed the distraction of wondering whether this size would compare to the upcoming first ever Alola League. Yet, at the subsequent roar, that thought faded away, replaced with the stark reality before him: he had lost.

His hands gripped at each other, fingers knotting together as he stared down towards the arena before him. Those who had passed on to the Championship Round were in the arena, calling out their Pokémon, but Clemont found his blood pounding in his head. Iki Town, Brooklet Hill, and now here...

He had really wanted to go on to that final round and face off against Ash again. Sure, they had battled at Professor Oak's, but that always came off as a skirmish. Not a real battle. This was going to be his first chance in a long time to battle on the same stage as Ash. Yet he screwed it all up. He had allowed himself and Luxray to get beaten back like they were nothing, while Gladion, Ash's rival, appeared to walk away unscathed. It made him feel that stinging feeling once more; that claw of Plumeria's Salazzle pressing upon his chest still, like a phantom that wouldn't let him go free.

"Clemont, are you okay?" Serena's voice called. He felt her soft hand on his exposed forearm and he jumped for a moment. The touch was surprisingly motherly, but did nothing to soothe the raging and raw feeling of failure inside him.

"I just wish I could be down there," he said, letting the veneer break for just a second. In the streaming lights of the darkened dome, and the slight glow of sunlight from the opening above, he could see how concerned Serena was looking at him, but he wasn't willing to share the fear and shame that was roiling underneath his skin and in his veins. That he was falling behind his best friend, who he once felt he had come to match. No, if he was truthful, he'd admit that he felt that way since before they'd even left Kalos, but everything was so dire there was no real time to reflect on it.

Now, however, that gulf was simply growing bigger and bigger.

"And the Pokémon for today's Championship Round have been decided!" the announcer called. Clemont sucked in a breath, pushing away the insecurities threatening to consume him in order to support his best friend in battle. "From Gladion...uh...some strange Pokémon named Null that this announcer has never seen...Er...yes, anyway...From Guzma, his indomitable Golisopod! Hau chooses Pikachu, certainly a little one among titans. Lastly, Ash chooses his Greninja...? Well, we have quite the lineup of different types of new and mysterious Pokémon. I can already tell this final round will be most exciting!"

"Ash is going with Greninja instead of Pikachu?" Serena asked in surprise. Clemont didn't feel the same, at least when compared to her. Scooting just a little forward on his seat to get a better glimpse of all the participants, he could see the small mouse at Ash's feet, cheering Greninja on.

"Makes sense," the inventor muttered. Before he finished his explanation he turned to face Serena. "Guzma's Golisopod was a real force against even Ash-Greninja in Iki Town. Pikachu is definitely one of Ash's best, but I'd imagine this is a grudge ma...tch..."

"Clemont?"

"Where's Bonnie?" His voice had gone up an octave, squeaking just a little when he noticed that the seat which should have contained his sister was empty. Furthermore, Rotom appeared to have gone close to the edge of the arena. Serena whipped over.