Chapter 8: A Discovery

Time for a little bit of a breather. And don't forget to vote on my profile poll! Now, time for Chapter 8!

Chapter 8

A Discovery

That night, Ash had what could only be described as the best sleep he'd had in the longest time. It wasn't, of course, because he was in a Pokémon Center, or that Serena was next to him that night. It was more that he felt this load off of him in some part. He had finally done it. Finally used his Z-Moves in battle and managed to pull out a victory. Sure, there were still some questions on his mind, still things he wanted to answer, but he figured those would come sooner than later and he and his Pokémon reveled in a job well done.

What he hadn't expected was for all the spectators of the battle to come storm him and Kiawe, asking for autographs (he'd had more than enough of that in the past, thank you very much) or otherwise just wanting to talk to him or poke and prod Greninja. It had made it relatively impossible for him to get to his friends at the time, so Kiawe had called Charizard to take the both of them away.

As it turned out, they arrived at where Turtonator seemed to relax, judging by the simple fact that it returned there shortly after they had arrived. Away from the bustle of the crowds, Ash and Pikachu walked to the edge of the volcano cliff and looked out over the vastness of Akala, especially to the south, where Ash had yet to travel.

"Akala is a vast space, isn't it?" Kiawe had asked, his hands folded across his chest as the two stared out. It was hard to see some of the details, particularly at night, but Ash felt that he could see them all well enough. Lights glittered in the far distance, speaking of cities and other places. "That's Konikoni City."

"Isn't that...?" Ash began to ask, only receiving a simple nod in turn from the captain beside him.

"It's where Olivia is. Where your Grand Trial is." Kiawe's words were definitive, and Ash found himself gazing at the coastal town. "I'll admit, Olivia is a strange one. Half the time she jokes around and flirts with people who come by, but when it comes time to battle or do a business deal, she's swift. It plays into her battle strategy as well, even with some of her bulkier Pokémon."

"Business deal?" Ash asked. He was interested to know more about the opponent he'd be facing. Kiawe sat down, placing his hands upon the dusty volcanic rock.

"She runs a stone shop in the town, mostly used as offerings to the graves nearby, and to the guardian deity, Tapu Lele." Ash nodded, not sitting with his companion. Pikachu ran back, seemingly to play with the resting Turtonator, who let him crawl on its back. Ash watched them a moment, reflecting on the intense battle. Turtonator seemed buffed in so many ways, not the least of which was that aura around every Totem Pokémon. For the first time, Ash had started to wonder what it was, shuddering from the sudden memory of an aura flaring around that beast in Heahea.

Ash turned back around, watching the lights down below. His second attempt at a Grand Trial. He hoped this one would go uninterrupted. Reaching his hand out, as if to grasp the light, he clasped it, closing his eyes. His Z-Ring sparkled, lighting up like a compass in the direction of the city he'd be traveling to. It was hard to see beyond that particular sea of light, but he knew something was there, calling for him. He breathed out. "Kiawe, you completed all of the trials, right?"

"Yes," the boy answered. "Though the only Grand Trial that I completed was Olivia's. That's part of the reason I was named as captain."

"But not everyone has," Ash noted. Kiawe didn't say anything. He simply murmured a form of assent. Of course, Ash knew that not every person in Alola had completed the trials, now or in the past. It seemed to be something that gave form to Team Skull and that band of miscreants. It gave Ash a sense of conflict in himself.