Chapter 3: An Avenue

Perhaps we've gotten off to a slower start, both in story and in reviews (ha ha...ha...), but here's where the story will start picking up with one of my fortes! Now, time for Chapter 3!

Chapter 3

An Avenue

"Here at last!" Ash shouted as he and Pikachu jumped into the air with great enthusiasm. His feet, as they came down, landed atop the cement surface of Royal Avenue. Behind him were all the others, their own feet now audible on the stone pathway.

"Oh, wow..." Serena and Lillie happened to exclaim at the same time. Ash nodded with a grin, having to wholeheartedly agree with their sentiment.

Royal Avenue was a sight to behold in more ways than one. Upon first glance, Ash would have almost thought it reminded him of Ancien City, but that was very far from the case, because there was nothing old about this town; it was the very epitome of modern day society in Alola. Small scooters whizzed back and forth, carrying trainers and Pokémon to whatever destination they desired; a Pokémon Center was nearby, judging from the red top; and there was a small meadow in the center of the avenue. It looked beautiful, with pink flowers all about and Ash realized that this must have been the place that Maka had been talking about.

The biggest feature, however, was the giant dome in the northern part of the avenue. It glittered with lights, ones that stretched all over the avenue, making it seem like it was all a huge and happy festival. That very sight got Ash more than excited for what was coming ahead. Cheers appeared to rise up from the dome, making Ash realize that, in some way, it was all very open-air, making the entire thing that much more exciting.

"It's been a long time since we entered any sort of tournament setting," Clemont commented. This prompted Ash to look to his friend, seeing the boy shaking with excitement and anticipation. He grinned, slinging an arm around him as they watched the people all excitedly flocking to stores or the dome. There was really no wonder that this event was as huge as Professor Kukui had said.

"Well, let's see if we can get ourselves registered for the Championship Battle today," Ash said positively. Clemont nodded, and the two boys surged forward, almost ignoring the girls that were left trailing in their wake. What was most surprising was the fact that Clemont was keeping pace with Ash and Pikachu as they walked, clearly excited for the tournament, regardless of how short it was compared to their last few. People flitted by them as they crossed near the meadow, a swarm of Cutiefly hovering around it, and a gaggle of excited girls appeared to be tittering near the edge.

"Have you heard about the exhibition match today?" a girl was saying, loud enough that Ash could hear it. He slowed a bit, disengaging from Clemont to listen in slightly. "I heard the Masked Royal is battling!"

"Oh, that man in his shirtless glory!" said another one of the girls, flicking her hair flirtatiously.

"Wonder if there'll be any other hotties," said a third and final girl. Ash shook his head, finding the conversation baffling, but with one major takeaway: the Battle Royal truly was a spectacle to all involved with it. It quickened his steps, driving him towards the dome that people were streaming towards.

"It's certainly a sight," Clemont observed, adjusting his glasses a little as he peered at the top of the dome. Ash was sure he was examining the engineering of it all, and the raven-haired trainer turned back towards the girls and Rotom that were now approaching.

"Sure you don't want to take part, Serena?" Ash asked with his head cocked back. Serena smiled at him, letting a giggle escape through her lips.

"I'd rather just watch the both of you," she told him. Ash shrugged his shoulders at that; whether Serena was battling against him or cheering him on, it made no difference. He was just happy that she was there. Ash was about to turn back when he noticed Bonnie peering in the distance, towards some trees.