Chapter 11: A Motion

Start from the beginning

"That's...very nice of her," Serena admitted. Now there was relief, intermingled with a panging fear inside. She swallowed the fear down. There was a chance for her to get a Lei on Akala after all. "Well, if that's the case, I'll need to get ready! That Ceremony won't win itself!"

"Yeah! I know you'll win this time, for sure!" Ash proclaimed, reaching across to give her a fistbump. As Serena pulled her hand back, she was about to suggest that Ash leave the room so she could change when that infernal ringing suddenly returned. Now that they were both up and about, it was easy to hear that it was coming from Clemont's backpack near his bed. Intrigued, they ambled over to it and Ash opened it up. "Oh...it's that communication thing that Professor Burnet gave us."

"Pika pika?" Pikachu asked, climbing on top of the backpack to paw at the strange device, like he wanted to get it to open. Ash looked to be unable to figure it out as well, turning it over and examining it. Serena laughed and quickly took it from him, expanding the device to display the screen before answering the call.

"Hello, Professor Burnet," she said happily. As she did so, she jerked her head towards the stairs, and Ash seemed to get the message of just where they were going. Quickly leading their way towards the stairs, Serena and the professor engaged in conversation.

"Serena, nice to see you. Everything going well in Konikoni?" she asked, looking just a little frazzled, like she'd stayed up the whole night researching. When her husband was away, Serena supposed...

"Very well. We're about to head off to the Hano Grand Resort, and Ash completed his Grand Trial," she told her. There was a sudden loud clatter on the screen and like magic, Hau appeared, his face stuffed with his predictable malasada.

"No way! Ash, ish shat true?" he cried, quickly swallowing what was probably a light morning snack. Ash stopped at the bottom of the stairs, allowing Serena to join him there so he could look at the screen. The sounds of conversation were emanating from the back room, where their friends were all having a continued breakfast most likely. Serena felt hungry as well, now that she thought of it.

"Heh, take a look," Ash said, grinning at the boy on the screen as he held his amulet high to reflect the pink jewel.

"Aw man! I lost!" Hau claimed loudly, though he was smiling as he said it. "And here I was totally gonna win and you would plan a date for me and Lillie!"

"Why not just ask her yourself?" Serena suggested as she pushed the door open to the backroom. Sure enough, everyone was sitting there, the trial captains and Olivia included, as they passed around a plate of breakfast for everyone. Wanting to partake, Serena moved forward to put the device between Clemont and Lillie. "It's Professor Burnet and Hau."

"Alola, guys! What happened to your face, Clemont?"

"Stuff..." was the inventor's disgruntled response, rubbing at the light bruise stippling his face. "So, professor, any reason you're contacting us?"

"Actually, I was calling for Lillie and Nebby," Burnet told them. Serena, interested in the conversation, grabbed the plate of food and began to eat off it while keeping an eye on the exchange. "Though, hearing that you're heading for Hano sort of puts a damper on it."

"Why?" Lillie asked, dropping a piece of a pancake into Komala's open mouth. Nebby, clearly no longer shy of those around him, hopped up on the table to peer curiously at Burnet. Lillie patted him on the head.

"Well, I wanted to spend a day studying Nebby. Really just seeing how instruments react to it and if it's the same readings that the wormhole in Heahea shared. But splitting up your group right before you head to Ula'ula..." Burnet looked genuinely concerned.