Terror at Night

July

"Susanna!! Susanna, no!! Please don't do this to me!!" He pled as he gave several sets of compressions. She was turning deep blue and losing her warmth.

John stood to the side and shook his head, "She's dying, Sherlock. You can't save her this time. In fact, you never saved her in the first place."

"No! I can revive her!" Sherlock fearfully placed his hand against her carotid artery and almost screamed in agony when he found no pulse, "Susanna!"

A clapping noise filled the dark pool and Sherlock's blood chilled, "I must say I am rather proud of Jerome. He accomplished exactly what I hoped he would. Now I get to watch your heart burn into nothing. Watch you suffer and beg for mercy."

"She's going to be alright!" Sherlock refused to let Susanna slip away.

"Oh, Sherlock, I told you I would burn the heart out of you. It was worth the wait- you finding Susanna and all. This was perfect!" Moriarty crooned, "I win, Sherlock!"

The sound of a flatlining heart pervaded Sherlock's ears and he fell to the wet tile floor, pounding with his fists and screaming, "NO!!"

Susanna was consumed by fire before his eyes and a whirlwind of voices -dark and accusing- filled his head and ears. He couldn't block them out and Moriarty neared as the detective writhed, "I always knew you'd fall eventually. And you fell in the best way. Losing the love of your life sucks, doesn't it? Especially when you didn't get to tell them everything you felt. You thought you were doing well, didn't you, Sherlock?"

"I was-!"

"You never deserved her. You put her in danger when she didn't deserve this. No, you're the whole reason she's dead."

Mycroft stepped out of the shadows, "You've been a very bad little boy, Sherlock. Mummy and Daddy are very ashamed of you."

"No!"

"Sherlock, you just let her die!" John accused and Sherlock rolled to see his best friend holding a gun at him, "I don't know why I stay with you but this is the last straw!"

"John, I-"

"Why did you let me die, Sherlock?"

Sherlock turned his head as Susanna stepped out of the shadows. Blood poured from her heart, and her face was blank. He gulped, "Susanna..."

"Why!? Was I a toy for you all along?!"

"Susanna, I never-"

"Why would I ever want to marry you?" Susanna lifted her left hand and Sherlock watched in terror as she plucked off her engagement ring.

"Please, don't, Susanna. I never wanted you to die! Come back!"

Susanna scowled and threw the diamond ring into the pool where Sherlock watched it dissolve into a cloud of blood in the water. Then Susanna faded into the darkness and Sherlock screamed-

"Sherlock!? Wake up, mate!!" John shook his friend, who had started writhing and crying out in his sleep. The brunette had dozed off on the sofa while researching serviettes- the first time he had truly fallen asleep since the encounter with Jerome Waterston two months before.

John had thought that it would be a good thing for his friend to catch a nap, but he hadn't thought that Sherlock would have a nightmare. The army doctor shook his friend a little harder and the brunette finally jolted awake, "Susanna!"

"Sherlock, are you alright?"

The lanky detective staggered to his feet and spun around almost drunkenly, "Where is she?!"

"At home, Sherlock, she's been at her flat for hours. Probably fast asleep."

"I need to see her!" Sherlock declared and John blocked his path, "She's in danger, John!"

"She is not, Sherlock. She has a security system and is perfectly safe!"

"Must... see... Susanna..."

"Sherlock, you had a nightmare. Just lie down and get some more sleep."

"No."

John sighed, "Susanna is fine, Sherlock."

"I need to see her, John. I just... need to." Sherlock looked so desperate in that moment that John knew the best thing would be to let Sherlock reassure himself. So he nodded and stepped aside.

"Alright. But she may not be awake, mate. You were busy today with wedding plans and she was rather tired when she went home."

"I shall return." Sherlock said and exited 221B. John sighed and texted Susanna so that if she was awake she would have forewarning.

Sherlock was so shaken by the nightmare that he had to prop himself against the wall before he donned his coat and scarf and headed out. Luckily there was a taxi down the street so flagging the cabbie was rather easy. He rode in silence all the way to Ainsworth Rise and took the stairs to the fourth floor where unit 48 was.

The flat that he had become so accustomed to was beginning to be emptied and downsized, since Susanna would be moving into Baker Street after the wedding. A few boxes littered the living room and her bookshelves started to look bare, but Sherlock didn't pay attention. His eyes locked onto Susanna in the kitchenette, making tea and humming along to the radio. He let out an assured, relieved breath and relaxed his shoulders.

"Are you alright, Darling? John texted that you had nightmare and that you wanted to see me."

Sherlock strode into the kitchenette and swept her into a warm embrace, "I Love You, Susanna."

"I Love You too, Sherlock, but what's made you so upset?"

"I... I saw Moriarty in my dream. You died and then-" He caught sight of her engagement ring and his heart calmed, "And then you threw away the engagement ring, saying you wouldn't want to marry me..."

"Oh, Sherlock,.." Susanna frowned and leaned up to kiss his lips, "It was only a nightmare, darling. I promise. You'll see me on October Tenth ready to take my vows with you."

"Why?"

"Because I Love You, Sherlock. I want to live the rest of my life with you, no matter what happens."

"But I put you in danger-"

"I was in danger long before we met, Sherlock. It doesn't scare me anymore because I want to live my life wholly and with as little regret as possible," Susanna soothed, "You saved me, Sherlock. I trusted that you would, and you did."

"I almost didn't though. I almost lost you."

"It wouldn't have been your fault, Sherlock. You weren't the one who threw me in the pool."

"But-"

"Sherlock, it's in the past, alright? I've moved past it and am looking forward to the future."

"Alright..." Susanna smiled and hugged him tightly.

"I wouldn't have left you before my time, Sherlock. Let alone miss our wedding."

Thank you for reading!! The wedding and (part) of the honeymoon is coming up so stay tuned!!