The Missing Bride

"What note?" John stepped around Sherlock and found a scrawled note on Susanna's pillow. The doctor tentatively walked to the slip of parchment and picked it up.

Doctor Watson should count himself lucky. We originally planned on abducting little Rosie Watson, but spared her in favor of someone a little more valuable to the great Sherlock Holmes. The faster he figures out who I am, the safer she'll be. The clock is ticking. Put the jigsaw puzzle together and join me.

John gulped, feeling the blood drain from his head to his feet, "They almost took Rosie instead. They..." He had to take several breaths, during which Sherlock stepped inside the bedroom and took the note.

"This is what I was afraid would happen to her," Sherlock hissed, "And I didn't stay here with her to protect her!" The detective aimed a fist at the mattress and it landed heavily, shaking the bed and frame. John gaped at Sherlock.

Never had he reacted so violently when it came to Susanna. But Sherlock had reacted that way when Eurus had all but forced him to convince Molly Hooper to say "I Love You", and say it himself, with the threat of Molly and her flat being blown up.

"Sherlock, we're not at Sherrinford. This isn't a test-"

"Of course it's not a test, John. Susanna has been abducted because of me." Sherlock finished.

"Then shouldn't we be getting out and looking for her, Sherlock?" Sherlock had already ducked out of the room though with the note in hand. John sighed and followed him out to the living room.

"They must have used a lock kit to get in, but how did they get her out?" Sherlock spun and looked around until his eyes fell onto the rug, "They used a wheeled container, something that wouldn't be suspicious to see in the building. They loaded her in and rolled her away- the medication likely dulled her senses enough to prevent her from struggling, if she was even awake."

"So-"

Sherlock started examining the note, "Cheap paper, difficult to trace. Smells faintly of brackish water- this came from close to the Thames. Right upon it, even. Also smells of grit and grease. Likely a workshop or warehouse. The ink was smudged by a left handed author."

"Sherlock?"

"Who? Who?!" Sherlock entered his mind palace, searching feverishly for the culprit behind the arson and Susanna's abduction. John sighed and stood almost patiently, waiting for his friend to emerge with something useful.

He recalled all his notes from the case and tried to synthesize the information with what he had learned that day. Unfortunately he couldn't make enough sense of it all and clenched his fists. John noticed, "I'll let Lestrade and Mycroft know."

"Thank you."

"Of course."

Meanwhile, Susanna fell over in the rickety steel chair that she had been tied up on. Her head spun and her stomach churned, but somehow she kept herself together. Her captors had brought her to a place near the Thames- she could tell by the smell- and the woman had left to get a few "things".

"Who... Who are you?" Susanna managed after a while.

"Jerome Waterston. Although I go by Jay, partly owing to my connection to a... past arch nemesis of Sherlock Holmes. That isn't important however, at least to you."

"Wh-who was she?"

"Oh, her? Alexis Harrington. A former classmate of yours who wanted revenge on the people who'd scorned her abilities. My girlfriend as well, who wouldn't want a partner crazy enough to set fire to things?" He laughed darkly.

"Sherlock will... f-figure this out."

"I'm sure he will. But you shouldn't be concerned about that. You should be more worried about when he'll figure it out. The sooner, the better for you. The longer he takes, the worse. I fully intend to make him suffer for what he did to me and my livelihood."

"You underestimate him."

"Or! You might be overestimating him. How did you charm the consulting detective anyway? I thought the only person he was interested in was that assistant of his. Doctor John Watson. Oh, I suppose you'll be pleased to know that we took you instead of the sweet thing called Rosie Watson."

"Rosie-!"

Jerome guffawed, "Yes she is fine. When we saw that you were so intimate with Sherlock Holmes we changed course," He kicked off the wall and looked at his watch, "It's been about two hours since we took you. I'll give him one more hour before I start with you."

"He will figure this out..." Susanna heaved, feeling sick again. Jerome tsked.

"Anticipation. A killer isn't it?"

"Only for you."

"Oh I am most eager to burn Sherlock Holmes. Now everything is in place, and I know that he'll be here within a day. The real question is whether you will be."

"You are sick!"

"I am a psychopath who used to work for the mastermind called Moriarty. Of course I'm insane."

Thanks for reading!