Porch Swing Ponderings {Susanna}

"I Love You, Sherlock." I gush after we split apart from the kiss. He inhales.

"Could we go outside to talk, Susanna?" This is strange but I know he has been overwhelmed and probably needs to clear his head.

"Sure, let me grab my coat and shoes," I retrieve the items and we step outside, deciding to sit on the porch swing. Sherlock takes a seat and I curl up next to him, nestled against his left side. He drapes his arm around me, "What do you want to talk about, Darling?" He doesn't answer for a while.

"Susanna, I still do not believe that I have fully earned your family's approval, let alone their blessing." Sherlock informs me, causing me to pout.

"They like you, Sherlock-"

"But they do not wholly approve of me, Susanna. If they do not approve of me then they won't give their blessings." Sherlock vents. His muscles tighten under me and I listen to his heartbeat speed up.

I slip my arms around his torso, "Darling, if they approve of any man as my lover, it'll be you."

"How are you so sure?"

"Because I know them. And I know you- I'm your lover, aren't I?"

"Yes, that you are, Lover mine." Sherlock twists and presses a kiss to my temple. I smile and tighten my hold on him.

"It'll take some more effort because this family is thickheaded and obstinate but they will give their whole approval, Sherlock. And their blessing."

"I gathered that." He bemoans and I chuckle.

"I still have to win over Mycroft, and I think that'll be harder than you winning over my family."

"I would not stress over acquiring his approval. He is quite set in his ways now."

"Maybe, but I think that he'll come around soon."

He pulls me closer against him and rests his head on mine. I rest mine over his heart; the drumlike steadiness lulling me into a calm, sleepy state, "Susanna?"

"Hmm..?" I mumble into his white button up.

"I still wonder how you live with such a large family."

"I ask myself the same question," I chuckle, "It takes a lot of love, patience, and work. Relationships take a lot of those- but the more you put in, the more you get out. I went through a lot of trouble with Mitchell when Ma and Pa got married, for example."

"And now you seem to get along just fine."

"We still lock horns but he doesn't drive me up a wall like he used to."

"I still haven't learned why Thalia and Niles got divorced in the first place." Sherlock suddenly inputs. I sigh.

"Ma divorced Dad, mostly because his family had been against their relationship from the start and she didn't want to live in that environment anymore. Dad sympathized with her and the divorce proceedings were quick and quiet. They didn't find out about me until after they'd finalized everything." I explain.

"That's why you want to win Mycroft over."

"Yes." Sherlock lowers his arm to my waist and rests his hand on my leg, gently brushing over it. He exhales.

"I understand now."

"Understand what?"

"You don't want to have a divisive family. You may have grown up with your mother and father already divorced, but you yourself do not want to go through one."

"Especially with kids. I understand divorce where it truly is necessary and beneficial, but marriage is about working together, growing together, and loving each other as equal partners. It shouldn't be until the first roadblock or until the contract expires. At least, that's what I believe." I add. Sherlock falls silent, considering my statement.

"Missus Hudson told me once that Marriage changes a person in ways one can't imagine, or rather, that I can't quite imagine."

"She's right. It does change people," I open my eyes and look up at him tiredly, "Where is all this coming from anyway, Sherlock? You haven't expressed much interest in this topic before." I kick off on the cement so that the swing starts to sway gently.

"Exactly. We hadn't discussed it yet and it seemed like a good time to do so."

"... Alright." It probably wouldn't do good to press him further. He's an inquisitive person and asks random questions for discussion often. Even if they're deep, like this.

We stay snuggled up on the swing for a while before I catch my head starting to slip. I yawn, "Sherlock, I need to get to bed."

"Of course."

"And so do you." I remind as I stand up with a little help from him. He gives me a pout but doesn't protest.

"Very well, Love."

We head back inside and I lock up the house, then make sure that Sherlock reapplies the remedy paste before trudging upstairs. At least he didn't grill me about the piano.

A/N: I have determined that this book is going to be longer than I originally thought, based on how this one has progressed through chapters and the fact that I will be making a third book for Susanna and Sherlock. Just a heads up!

Thank you for reading!! Please vote and comment! Ta!