Discussing Dates {Susanna}

February

"Susanna?" Sherlock calls from his chair. From my spot on the sofa, where I'm going over information packets from several science companies, I hum.

"Yes, Sherlock?"

"Wedding Date?" I look up and inhale, immediately knowing what he wants. We agreed to give ourselves a month to simply enjoy being engaged and to let the attention die down, before we started planning. With the exception of John and I researching possible day centers for Rosie and a new job for me, we have each kept the agreement.

I smile and set down the brochures that I am holding, "I suppose that we'd better set one, shouldn't we?"

"Indeed," He gets up from his chair and walks to the desk to grab his laptop, then walks over and joins me on the sofa, "I suppose a way to start would be to narrow it down to a season." For now he puts his laptop on the table and turns to face me. I rest my arm on the back of the sofa and my head on my hand, pulling my legs onto the sofa beside me. Sherlock crosses his legs.

"That's a start," I tsk, "Well, I wouldn't want to get married in Summer." This seems to surprise him.

"Explain?"

"Too busy and hot, for one. Second, that's when I would have gotten married."

"Ah. In that case, I would prefer not to get married in the Spring."

"Because of John and Mary's-"

"Yes."

"Okay. That leaves Fall and Winter..." We look at each other.

"Fall." We agree.

"That leaves adequate time for planning-" He starts to ramble and I hold up one hand, "What?"

"Focus on the date before the planning, okay? Because as soon as we make it known we'll have plenty of help with planning."

"Understandable." We hear the front door open and close, accompanied by John and Rosie's voices. The two appear shortly, bundled up against the cold.

John nods at us as he takes off his jacket and removes Rosie's coat, hat and gloves, "Welcome back, John."

"Good to be out of the cold," He casts a second look at us, "Are you two discussing something?"

"Just trying to set our Wedding Date, John." I explain.

"Really?"

"Yes. We've narrowed it down to a Fall Wedding." Sherlock adds and John chuckles.

"Somehow that suits you two," I smile and look at Sherlock, who's also smiling lightly, "So you two are going to actually have a 'wedding' wedding?"

I tsk, "We haven't gotten that far, John. We're only focusing on the date right now."

"Considering all the factors that must be taken into account, a Fall wedding allows ample time to plan for it as well as get everything in order pertaining to married life." I try my hardest not to blush too hard when he says "married life".

"Okay. Well, I'll take Rosie downstairs and have tea with Missus H then." With another nod he and Rosie are gone again.

I wait a few moments before clearing my throat, "So. Fall Wedding..."

"Yes, we've established that. If we stick to the Calendar, Fall begins in September and ends in December. However I do believe that you would not approve a wedding so late in the year."

"Yeah, you're right. Mmm, and November is when my birthday is. So September or October?"

We go back and forth for a while, debating it. It is now that Sherlock opens his laptop and starts providing facts and figures, coming up with predictions and charts from off the top of his head. As he presents those arguments, I give my own while trying to keep up with him.

It takes me several minutes before I come up with, "Of the two, October is typically peak season for autumn colors."

"Autumn Colors?"

"Yes. When the leaves turn from green to reds, browns and yellows..?"

"... Like Ziva's fur pattern?" I give him a look.

"I'm not choosing a wedding day based on my kitten's coat color, Sherlock."

"You do like Autumn Patterns."

"Sherlock."

We still debate a little longer about peak seasons, of all things, before we agree on October. From there it's just a matter of choosing a day where people won't think we're throwing a Halloween Party for a reception. We would never hear the end of it.

Eventually I get up from the sofa to get some water and give my brain a short break, "Do you want a drink, Sherlock?"

"Tea?"

"Okay." I leave him there with his computer and start brewing the tea. As it's steeping I lean against the counter and look at my engagement ring to take some of my mind off of coming up with a wedding date.

October... October...

I finish Sherlock's tea and get a glass of ice water for myself. When I walk back I see Sherlock in his prayer pose, thinking. So I set his cuppa on the table and sit back down on the sofa with my water, grabbing my phone to check the notifications.

"October tenth."

"Hmm?"

"October tenth," He repeats, "Ten being a fundamental number and associated with several things-" I listen as he rattles off his deductions about the significance of ten.

I like it too so I smile and place one hand on his forearm, "October Tenth. I like it."

"You do?"

"Yes. So, October Tenth, darling?" He smiles and nods.

"October Tenth it is, Love."

Thank you for reading!!