Encounters of the Cold Case (I)

Sherlock was up and moving at precisely five thirty AM the morning after George's retirement ceremony and party. He'd successfully endured the events and people of the previous day, so Susanna had promised to take him out to solve the multiple homicide cold case.

The brunette detective freshened up as quietly as possible, given that Susanna's brother Neil, his wife and their four kids were in the room beside his and didn't want to stir them. By the time he was putting on his blazer and stepping out of the bathroom, he saw Susanna coming downstairs. She smiled, "Good morning, darling." She kissed him on the cheek and he lifted her off of the stoop she was on, setting her on the floor before pressing one to her lips.

"Good morning, love."

"Let's go get breakfast, then."

Together they walked to the kitchen and Sherlock remarked, "I suppose that you'll be driving us today."

"Yes. Now, I'll start on some bacon and eggs if you start the tea."

"Of course." Sherlock got the kettle and started to brew some mint tea. Once it was steeping he sought out the cream and honey. Susanna had taken over the stove, frying the bacon first. When Sherlock had nothing to do she cleared her throat.

"If you get the bagels, we can have those toasted with butter or cream cheese."

Sherlock nodded and retrieved the items. As he set to work toasting a couple of the bagels he spoke up, "What else can you tell me about the cold case?"

"Six victims. Four men and two women. They were dumped into a few of the local lakes after being mugged and raped, or so it appears. The force can't lift any prints and their leads keep turning up empty."

"The killer is opportunistic. I'll have to examine the bodies and the sites."

"I'll take you to the city morgue first."

"Excellent. Were the police able to connect any of the victims?"

"A couple of them worked for the same company but not in the same departments. All of them were residents of the county."

"Hmm. Well, this should be an interesting case."

"I hope so." Susanna agreed. Soon enough the eggs and bacon were ready. They ate quickly and silently, chasing it down with a few cups of tea each.

Thalia came down around six thirty. When she saw them together she smiled, "Plans for today?"

"I worked out a case for Sherlock. So I'm taking him to the morgue as soon as I grab my purse."

"Which car are you taking?"

"Dad's. He isn't going anywhere today. I checked and he gave his express permission."

"Alright then." Thalia smiled and Susanna hurried upstairs to collect her purse and her dad's car keys. Sherlock retrieved his coat and his phone and assorted items, including his wallet and magnifying glass. The lovers met up in the garage, where she led him to an electric blue '69 Stingray Corvette that had been neatly covered and recently waxed.

"I presume that your stepfather is rather touchy about his car."

"Oh yes. Besides Ma, I'm the only one he allows in the driver's seat. Come on." They got in, Sherlock more then a bit perturbed about being on the right ride as a passenger. Susanna backed out of the garage and sailed cleanly down the driveway and onto the main road.

It was still dark by the time they arrived at the morgue. Their first order of business was for Sherlock to examine the corpses. Luckily the Mortician had been given the heads up to let them in, so he stood back and took care of paperwork. Once Sherlock had finished deducing everything he could, they collected the victims' files and Susanna drove them to the sheriff's office. The entire way, Sherlock looked over the files while listening to Susanna sing along to the radio.

When they got there she led the way to Detective Gabrielle Hunter. Sherlock took in the nature of the sheriff's office, as it was marginally different from Scotland Yard, as they made their way through the building. At long last they reached Gabrielle's door and Susanna rapped thrice, "Come in."

"Good morning, Gabrielle." Susanna greeted and the two women exchanged a polite embrace.

"Hello, Susanna. I assume that this is the London detective we've been hearing about."

"Sherlock Holmes." He clarified. Gabrielle nodded.

"Gabrielle Hunter."

"We went to the morgue and we're ready for him to start solving this case." Susanna explained.

"Of course," Gabrielle picked up a large rubber banded folder from her desk, "I appreciate all the help you could give us. We've been slammed since Halloween and we don't expect there to be much let up until next year."

"Who else is on this particular case, Gabrielle?"

"A couple of State Troopers. Another detective. That's about it. We're stretched thin."

"Okay."

Gabrielle gave the folder to Susanna, "I'd recommend that you two start with the last victim. I'll have Officer Dean meet you there."

"Of course, that's fine. Come along, Susanna." Sherlock nodded to Gabrielle and was out the door, eager to solve the case. Susanna sighed and waved to her friend.

"Thank you for letting him take this."

"No problem. Just please solve it."

"No worries there. Bye!" Susanna ran out to catch up with her long legged lover, slipping her arm around his, "Wait up, darling!"

"The game is on, Love! Keep up!"

"I've got the keys and you don't know the area, silly. You won't get very far." Sherlock smiled proudly at her and gave her hand three squeezes.

Please vote and consider commenting! Thank you!