Christmas Eve

"Pawty!!" Rosie warbled as she teetered down the stairs, dressed in a white blouse, white tights and a green holly-print dress. John hurried down after her in a Christmas Jumper, having lost hold on his daughter before he could fix her dark blonde hair, "Pawty!" She giggled and toddled into the living room.

Sherlock chuckled as she came in with John hot on her heels, "She's getting faster or you're getting slower, John." He got up and retrieved his violin.

"She's getting faster." John stated and picked Rosie up. He had two sparkly red hair ties and a brush in one hand, and sat down in his chair to put the blonde waves in neat pigtails.

Missus Hudson came in with a tray of beverages, "I hope you won't be running out on us like you did a few years back, Sherlock." She teased.

"Not to worry, Missus Hudson, I'm not planning on visiting the mortuary tonight." He replied, starting to play Christmas tunes. Missus Hudson set the tray down and sat in Sherlock's chair to listen.

"Pwetty!" Rosie babbled, garnering a smile from Sherlock.

A few minutes later Lestrade and Molly arrived, each taking a drink and making themselves comfortable. Sherlock grew concerned when Susanna had not appeared, but knew that traffic was terrible and that she was coming from the Honeycutts' Winter Party across London.

When she finally walked in he stopped playing and walked over to greet her, "I was wondering when you'd make it, Love."

"Sorry I'm late, it was a challenge to get through traffic." He kissed her forehead and she pressed one to his jaw.

"Did you have a good time with the Honeycutts, dearie?" Missus Hudson asked as Sherlock resumed playing and retreated to the window again. Susanna set down her bags and took off her coat before replying.

"Oh, yes. It was fun to see them again," She hummed, "But there were a lot of people so I'm glad to be here now."

"Zuzu!!" Rosie squirmed off of John's lap and toddled to Susanna, who swept her up.

"Hello, Rosie! Oh, you look lovely!" She went to the sofa and sat down. Rosie giggled and settled into her lap whilst Susanna poked through her bags and extracted a small Santa hat. Rosie squealed with absolute glee as Susanna placed it on the girl's head, "There you go!" Susanna exchanged smiles with John, who'd asked her to pick up a few Santa hats earlier, and then pulled out the rest.

"Oh, how sweet!" Missus Hudson exclaimed. She retrieved them and passed them around. She had to give Sherlock a look before he reluctantly donned one, "There!"

With everyone present, the group sat around, shared stories, ate and listened to Sherlock's violin as evening became night. Susanna joined in, accompanying Sherlock with her voice. Susanna may not have seen it, but John and the others saw Sherlock light up when she sang along.

Eventually the time came for the guests to return home. Molly left, then Lestrade. Missus Hudson and John cleaned up while Susanna tucked in Rosie and helped set out presents under the tree in 221B. Sherlock disappeared to his room for a few minutes, but returned with a few wrapped parcels and the santa hat removed.

"Aww, I thought it looked good on you, darling." Susanna pouted, referring to the missing Santa hat.

"I make a terrible Santa," He explained and approached her, "Since you'll be spending tomorrow with your family, I suppose that now would be the best time to give you these. One is for Ziva so you can open that tomorrow, but the other two are for you to open now."

"Well, thank you, Sherlock. I put yours under the tree with the others for tomorrow." Susanna smiled as Sherlock handed her the gifts. She sat down in his chair and he watched as she carefully unwrapped the presents.

The first was a pair of short, sleek, open knuckled black leather gloves. She'd sacrificed her old gloves for Sherlock's case the day before and the latter didn't see the benefits of letting her hands freeze. Susanna smiled warmly and tried them on, "Perfect fit." Sherlock remarked, happy to have gotten the right size for her.

"Just like yours, Sherlock," Susanna giggled, flexing her hands, "Thank you, darling."

"Open the other one, Love."

She nodded and set the gloves aside for the moment to open the other gift. Sherlock almost bounced on his heels. He had considered asking her that night or the next day, but had decided to wait until her calendar cleared. So Sherlock had gotten her something else to symbolize to their courtship until he could ask.

Susanna grinned as she revealed a long purple scarf with tassles- like Sherlock's but lighter colored and freshly laundered. She took it in her hands and ran her fingers over the soft material, "Wow, Sherlock..!" He smiled warmly and bent down.

Sherlock took the scarf and wrapped it around Susanna's neck, tying it like his. Her eyes widened and he smirked, "What?"

"... It smells like you..."

"Yep." He'd also applied a generous amount of his cologne to the scarf, and had worn it often the past few days so that it smelled more authentic. He'd taken a fondness to the way his scent rubbed off on her when he had put his scarf on her a handful of times before, and how she would bury her nose in the fabric. He smiled, watching her do just that.

"Thank you, Sherlock." She said almost dreamily.

"You're welcome, Susanna," He kissed her forehead and then her cheek, "I think it's time you head home though, Love."

"Yes, I'm afraid it is." She agreed and put the gift for Ziva in her purse as she cleaned up the wrapping paper. Sherlock grabbed her red coat and helped her into it, then readjusted the scarf. As she put on the gloves and got her bag, Sherlock waited to walk her out. He didn't want her to slip on the ice again and get worse than a goose egg and sore back.

"Merry Christmas, John, Missus H!"

"Merry Christmas, Susanna! Stay safe!" John said, coming around to give her a friendly hug. Missus Hudson followed and the women exchanged kisses on the cheek. Then Sherlock followed his lover downstairs and then outside 221 Baker Street.

The street was empty and deserted. Every one was in the Cafe or in their apartments, so Sherlock had little reservations. Before Susanna could reach her Bike, he reached out and turned her to face him, "Merry Christmas, Susanna." He offered.

"Merry Christmas, Sherlock," She giggled and they leaned in for a tender kiss. When they split she beamed at him, "I Love You, Sherlock."

"I Love You, Susanna." He returned and kissed her one last time before allowing her to get on her bike and hurry home. He watched until she was out of view and then went back inside.

"If you don't ask her soon-" John began and Sherlock raised his hand.

"I know, John." The army doctor shook his head and smiled.

Thanks for 1000 Reads Guys!! I'm glad to see that this story is doing well! Shout out to VelvetVanity for her support!