Chapter Seventeen

The Lucky One

Chapter Seventeen

-Ali-

Taylor has a week off so we're back in Nashville for a little bit since I always talk about how I miss being in Nashville. Not going to lie, it's a little weird being back here but it's like a good weird, if that makes any sense. We landed today early in the morning and I'm meeting Michael at Starbucks in ten minutes, meaning I have to leave soon so I'm not late.

I've been pretty busy recently, traveling the world with Taylor and Ed, so I haven't had time to really talk to Michael or even really think about him. It's hard to even remember what he looks or sounds like, if I'm being completely honest. School is about to start soon as it's September now but I'm going to have tutors and do online school again since I'm still going to be traveling with Taylor. It's hard to believe my birthday past yet again and I'm fourteen now. Each year seems to go by faster and faster.

I walk into the Starbucks and the coffee aroma fills my lungs. I check my watch to see I'm a few minutes early. Michael doesn't seem to be here yet so I grab a table. I could get my coffee while I wait but Starbucks is always so busy so saving a table seems like a better option. After two minutes, I look up and see Michael open the door and come in. I wave with a smile so he knows I'm there.

Oof.

I forgot how cute he was.

"Hey, Ali!" he says with a smile. I stop waving as he says this and we stare at each other for a minute. I feel my cheeks get red and I look away. "How's tour?"

"Pretty good, but I miss being in Nashville," I say softly and he chuckles. Realizing, what I said I debate whether explaining further. Ugh, whatever, I did miss being with him and, if that's what he wants to think I mean, then I don't really mind. "How's Nashville?"

"Eh," he says. "Been pretty boring with you gone."

Taylor, being who she is, really wouldn't care if I dated someone. I mean that I'm saying Michael and I were going to date or anything. But, if it were to happen, she'd be fine with it now that I'm fourteen. Even if I was thirteen she probably wouldn't care. Ed, however, is a little on the edge with the idea as I'm like a daughter to him. He doesn't like that I'm hanging out with a fifteen year old boy but Taylor shuts him down and tells me that I can live my life the way I want. She's a great sister. But, a great mom?

Not so much.

I'm just kidding, she knows me well enough to trust me when it comes to these types of things. We continue to talk about what life was like when we were apart. I realize, after a while, that we forgot to get coffee. "Oh, I'm gonna go get a coffee," I say during a silence.

"Hey, let me buy you one," Michael says with his handsome smile. I shake my head but he continues to persist me into letting him but me one. I finally give in and, when we walks after, a huge grin appears on my face. He comes back with exactly what I wanted with me not having to remind him of my order.

"Thank you, that was very kind of you," I say with a smile. "But you know you didn't have to do that."

"A princess deserves to be treated like one," he says with a smile. As we continue catching up, I can't help but repeat this sentence in my head, over and over again. Look, I'm new to this whole thing so I don't know if I'm right but...

Was Michael flirting with me?

Does he actually, maybe, like me back?

"Do you wanna take a walk?" Michael asks and I nod with a smile. Honestly, I didn't care what we did, I just wanted to talk to him. His voice was so soothing and made everything else in my head go away. The whole time we talk about the most random things and there wasn't a single time it felt awkward.

My phone buzzes and I look to see that Taylor's calling. "Hey, Taylor," I say, wishing she didn't have to interupt.

"Ali?" she asks into the phone. "Where are you?"

"On a walk, why?" I ask, suddenly concerned. Did something happen? Then I realized that I didn't even know how long I've been gone. Has it been long? To me, it's felt like ten minutes but also an hour. I don't know, everything seems very confusing to me right now.

Taylor says, "Oh, well, dinner is almost ready."

"Dinner?" I ask. When I left it was lunchtime, what time is it even? Taylor laughs on the other side and I notice Michael smile, too. "How long have I been gone?"

"Three hours," Taylor says with a laugh and my jaw drops. I couldn't believe it's been that long. Again, I didn't think it's been past an hour. I look around and notice that it is getting darker outside, which would make sense. Did Michael realize how late it was getting? I certainly didn't, obviously.

"I'll be home in a few," I say. We say goodbye and I hang up the phone. "Sorry," I say flustered. "I didn't realize how late it was getting."

"Neither did I," Michael says with a laugh. "Hey, Ali, can I ask you something?"

"Sure," I say and I notice he seems a little nervous. "What's up?"

He laughs a little nervously and asks, "Would you like to go out on a date with me?"

My jaw drops but I close it quickly making him chuckle. "I- I would love too," I stammer with a smile.

"Great, text you the details later?" he asks and I nod. He turns to leave and then turns back and I notice the sun starting to set.

It was beautiful.

Then he leans in and kisses me.

"See you later," he says softly. Then, he starts walking to his house leaving him stunned, my jaw all the way to the ground and my one hand touching my lips.

---

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and leave a comment with predictions for the next one!  Also, tour starts tomorrow... what?!  I'm so excited!!

Thanks for reading!

xxx