Chapter Five

The Lucky One

Chapter Five:

-Ali-

Suddenly, as I was having a peaceful dream, I'm awakened for no apparent reason except that I really want a glass of water. It's pretty late so no one is probably even up. I slip out of the blankets and out my slippers on. With everyone sleeping, I have to be as careful and as quiet as I can be. I open the door and slip out before closing the door again.

As I walk down the stairs, I can see a light on in the kitchen and someone talking quietly. Why is Taylor up this late? "No, I won't do it," she says and I can tell she has tears in her eyes. "Not after what you did."

I stop walking at the end of the stairs.

Is she talking to who I think she's talking to?

"You don't even care!" Taylor says in a louder voice. I hear her hang up the phone so I start walking to the kitchen. She's now drying some dishes but there are still a bunch left to have washed and dried.

I walk in and ask, "Need help?"

Taylor turns around in shock and slowly shakes her head. "Ali, what are you doing up? It's really late," she says.

"I- I woke up and came down for a glass of water," I stammer, trying to hide how shocked I am. I just know she was talking to Adam. Yes, it did sound like she didn't want too but she did anyway. I can't hold this against her since she was pretty much defending me but I still want him blocked.

It makes me feel safer.

"Okay, let me get that for you," she says and grabs a glass from a cabinet. I start to help drying the dishes since I was up. Mind as well help out while I'm up. Plus, it'll give me an excuse to ask Taylor about who she was on the phone with. "Here you go," she says and hands me the glass of water. "Now, off to bed."

"Let me help you for a little bit since I'm up," I say. Taylor says and shrugs since I'm very stubborn and won't go to bed if I'm determined not to. At least, in this situation I'm not going to go to bed until I know more about her phone call with Adam. "Who were you on the phone with?"

Taylor stops what she's doing and looks at me. "No one," she says. "At least, no one important."

I give her a small smile and roll my eyes. It's true, if it was Adam then she's absolutely right. He doesn't have any importance to me or anyone that I know. But, I still don't get why she was on the phone with him. And why in such secret? Like, everyone is sleeping and she's on the phone with him. And now she's not even admitting that she was on the phone with him.

"Taylor, you can't fool me," I say. She continues to do the dishes as she tries to act like she's busy and can't hear me or something. "It was Adam, wasn't it?"

"Look, I just wanted to see why he kept calling me. Don't worry, as soon as I finish the dishes, I'll block him again," Taylor says and hurriedly finishes doing the million dishes as I help dry them. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine, Tay," I say with a small smile. "But, I thought he was already blocked?"

"I guess I forgot once I got my new phone and number. To be honest, I don't even know how he got my new number. Or even how he new I got a new number," Taylor says, clearly stressed out. I give her a smile and she tells me to get to bed. I told her the same thing but she's determined to finish the dishes.

What can I say, we're two determined, stubborn sisters.

I give her my glass and walk up the stairs to go back up to my bed. Still awake, I check my phone as soon as I'm comfortable under the blankets. I notice a text from my friend back in Nashville, Michael. Well, we are friends even though I may or may not have a little bit of a crush on him.

My first crush.

He texted my saying he couldn't fall asleep about an hour ago. He's probably sleeping now especially since I'm three hours behind him. I text him back, hoping not to wake him up but he reads in right away.

Michael: I'm still up, aha. Can't sleep either?

Me: I woke up a bit ago and was talking to Taylor... now wide awake :(

Michael: I hate that!!! Especially when you have a good dream and then wake up from it... the worst, lol

Me: omg yes! That's what happened to me tonight :(

Michael: oh, i'm sorry, lol. When you coming back to nashville :/

Me: idk... not for a loooooooooong time :(

Michael: as soon as you are in nashville, tell me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: I will, chill lol

Michael: better sleep now... night!

Me: aha night

Talking to Michael always makes my worries go away even if he doesn't realize it or

know I'm stressed out. To be honest, I really miss being able to hang out with. We would always "run into each other" on my way to Starbucks. Sometimes, I think he likes me too but other times I feel like I am, and will always be, just a friend.

Ugh, friend- zoned.

At my age, I can't believe I'm ever worried about whether I'm just friends with someone or not. Why does life get so complicated as you grow up? My life has changed so much since I came to live with Taylor.

Completely changed.

I don't even keep in touch with my friends from my hometown. We were pretty close but sometimes I feel like we were just friends because my sister is Taylor Swift. Other times they seem to really care about me,

Ugh, life is so confusing right now.

I turn my phone off, plug it back in, and slowly drift off to sleep.

---

Hey guys!

I'm so sad that summer is almost over.  I start school very soon and I'm not happy about that.  Oh, well.

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!  If you did, comment your favorite part and, maybe vote for it?  Thanks for reading!

xoxo