Chapter 51

You were laid out on the hay, eyes closed, trying to fall asleep. It was late, and it was cold. You curled yourself up in a fetal position, trying to savor any warmth that your body was struggling to hold within. As the breeze swept along the side of your body, you had shivered as goosebumps rose along your arms.

You wanted to sleep everything away, to sleep forever if you could. As you curled up tighter, eyes shut tight, you felt a soft fabric being draped over your body. When you had peeked one eye open, you saw the dark mysterious figure heading out your cell. It had been to dark to make out the person's features. 

So instead you had pulled the material closer to your body, sleep finally consuming you.

~~~~~~

Once everyone arrived at Berk, the sun had already slipped below the horizon. Everyone had went in different directions, heading home all while Tuffnut still carried his sister.

Hiccup had sighed dejectedly as he and Toothless headed back home. Toothless knew it was best if he didn't say anything, knowing that Hiccup was going through a lot. Instead he nudged Hiccup's hand in comfort. 

Once they arrived home, Hiccup had opened the door to see his mother waiting for him by the fire pit. She wore a hopeful expression, which had fallen when she didn't see you or Midnight. 

"How'd it go?" She asked, watching as Hiccup closed the door.

"Not the best. Ruffnut fell into a hole in the ground so Eret had to go in and save her." Hiccup plopped down beside his mother.

"Oh, dear. Is she all right?" Valka asked, concern flashing her features.

"Yeah, she's fine. No broken or fractured bones. Tuffnut carried her home." Hiccup scratched his chin. "It's late and I'm going to be heading to bed, night mom."

Once Hiccup and Toothless went up to bed, Hiccup had removed his armor as Toothless curled himself up in his old spot. Ever since you and Midnight went missing, Toothless had been sleeping in Hiccup's room. 

Once Hiccup had curled himself up in bed, he released a soft exhale. "Night bud."

"Goodnight, Hiccup."

~~~~~

You had looked around to see that houses and buildings were burnt to crisp, boats were destroyed into pieces, and the docks had sunk beneath the ocean water. When walking forward, you seen bodies lying on the ground. And when moving forward, you seen your friends splayed out as well.

Your vision went blurry as you saw Hiccup and Toothless, Toothless being curled around Hiccup's body. You had fallen to your knees as you taken Hiccup's hand in yours; he was cold and lifeless. 

You shut your eyes tight, forcing the lump in your throat down. 

"You did this! This is all your fault! You were too late and look at what happened! This all happened because of you!"

You stood up on wobbly legs, covering your mouth to prevent the whimpers that tried to escape past your lips.  And when you had turned, you seen those violet eyes turned to slits.

A deep growl had rumbled inside her chest as she stalked in your direction, making you stumble backwards and tumble to the ground. 

"You will pay for what you've done! Attack!"

She then had lunged at you.

~~~~~

You sat up instantly gasping for air, tears welling up in your eyes. You clutched the thin material to your chest, blinking away the tears as you tried to keep the strangled whimpers at bay. After taking in several deep breaths of air, you turned to the right to see that Arlo was already watching you. 

"You all right?" He asked, turning so that his back was facing you.

"I'm fine." You whispered, but you were far from it.

~~~~~

Hiccup had stared at the opposite wall for what seemed like hours now. He couldn't fall asleep, no matter how hard he tried to. After a few seconds, he finally sat up in bed, rubbing his eyes.

"Cannot sleep?" Toothless asked, as he watched Hiccup.

"No." Hiccup shook his head, removing his hands from his eyes to look at Toothless. "You?"

"No." Toothless huffed through his nose. 

"Are you okay?" Hiccup asked, watching as Toothless curled his tail tighter around himself.

"No, are you?" Toothless glanced up at Hiccup.

 "...No." Hiccup replied with a sigh, rubbing his eyes once more. "I'm just really worried about them."

"I am too." Toothless exhaled sadly. "Especially Midnight, she'll be delivering the eggs soon."

"I know, bud. I'll try to get her-- them back." Hiccup tried assuring Toothless.

"I miss her." Toothless let out a soft whine after a moment, closing his eyes. 

"I know you do bud, I know." Hiccup intoned. He closed his eyes, leaning his head back against the wall, swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat.

I miss them too.