Chapter 41

After flying for an eternity, you noticed that Midnight was getting tired. 

"We'll find somewhere to land soon, don't worry." You assured her, patting her neck softly. 

"Hopefully. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to last." She crooned.

After a little whlile, you had spotted a small island ahead. Once Midnight landed, you quickly took out your map from the saddle, sketching the island quickly before placing it back in the saddle. 

"Okay, lets just go find a stream so you can eat, then we'll head back to Berk." You sighed.

"Sounds good." Midnight nodded. 

You both then began walking, staying on alert  in case something or someone else was on the island. 

"You smell anything?" You asked Midnight, scanning your surroundings.

"Just animals." She sniffed before dashing off.

"Midnight!" You called, running after her. "Slow down!" 

Just then you saw her disappear between two large bushes. You ran a bit faster before pushing your way through the bushes. When looking up, you saw that Midnight was already by the stream. 

The sun was reflecting a gold-ish/yellow color onto the water, amking it bounce and reflect onto the large boulders nearby. It was quite beautiful. You then turned your gaze to Midnight, who was trying to catch fish that swam in the water.    

"Here, let me help." You laughed, walking to kneel beside her. 

You lifted your sleeves up to your elbows, watching the water gently flow downstream. You waited until a fish appeared before quickly diving your hands into the water to catch it. You haven't done this in a long time. Usually you would make makeshift spears or something of that sort, but now living in Berk, you didn't have to catch your own food (unless you wanted to, that was). 

You had done this a lot when you were younger, catching fish with your hands. You remembered one of the first attempts at catching a fish. You were so young, it had been a few days after bonding with Midnight. You had leaned in too far and splashed into the water, and the water had been freezing. Midnight had gurgled a laugh, a soft sound that rumbled in her chest.

You had flicked water at her, which soon ended up in a water fight. And even though you were alone and had lost everything; you had laughed up a storm. When it had got dark and cold, you had made a small pile of broken sticks and twigs, and Midnight had lit it up aflame. She had wheezed and snorted, not used to the feeling of releasing blasts. You both had snuggled under the stars that night.

"What's the smile for?" Midnight tilted her head.

You shook your head with a smile. "Nothing."

The fish had wiggled in your hands which made you fling it into the air, which Midnight had caught swiftly. 

It was just like old times; just you and her.

After doing for awhile, you had sat back a few feet away, observing Midnight. She had looked different, she looked a bit...bigger.

"You got a bit bigger." You told her. She had glared at you with a squint. "Not that I'm calling you fat!"

"You're a terrible liar." Midnight snorted, getting up on all fours to lay next to you. 

"I know, I know. Now that I think about it, you've changed. You're bigger, your behavior has changed, and you get tired quicker than usual. Toothless too. He's more protective over you." You rambled. "Is there something that I should know? Wait a minute..." Everything then had clicked together. You looked at Midnight in surprise. "Wait, are you--"

"I'm having younglings." Midnight crooned softly.

"Are you serious? You're really having babies?" You asked, kneeling to get a better look at her. 

"I am."

"Oh, this is great!" You laughed. "Finally! I have to tell Hiccup and Valka and-- oh, Midnight this is great!"

"I understand, now please calm down before you pass out."

You nodded as you got off your knees to sit on your rear. "When? When did you know that you were gonna have them?"

"A little while ago. Usually dragon younglings grow much faster than human babies, depending on the species. I'll be having the eggs in a few weeks or so."

"How come you never told me?" You asked her. 

"I didn't tell you because you've been busy. With the village, people, Hiccup. I didn't want you to worry about me."

"Midnight, I will always have time for you. You're my best friend." You smiled, as she purred under the compliment. 

 Just then you heard a bush rustle, causing you to snap your attention to it. You had stood,  taking your sword out from its sheath from your back. You took a cautious steps forward, and once close enough, you quickly pushed the bush aside, seeing nothing there.

You sighed in relief. "Hey, Midnight. Nothing to worry abou--"

You were cut off by feeling a hands wrap around you mouth and arms, causing you to drop your sword. You tried to pry them off; pulling, pushing, clawing until you fell unconscious.