Volume ii - Chapter 40

Harry's POV

"IS EVERYONE ALRIGHT?"

I felt Louis squeeze my arms that were still tightly around his body.

Two people, a man and a woman came crashing into our campsite, a long hose in their hands and a couple other people behind them.

It took a moment for my eyes to adjust and realise that they were in fire fighters uniforms and that they were, in fact, fire fighters.

"Uh, yeah." Liam said. "We're okay."

"Are any exposed flames in the vicinity?" the girl asked. She was short and very small though strong and had piercings all over her ears and one through her nose. She had purple red hair and looked very sweet, though intimidating at the same time, despite her stature.

"Um, I don't think so." Zayn replied, looking to me nervously.

"Someone reported a fire in the forest in this general area." The man announced. He had dark spiky hair and piercings to match the girls.

"Yeah, there was a small one." I explained. "But I put out everything I could see."

"Alright guys, it's all safe." The girl turned and called behind her to the other people in suits. They nodded and turned away, taking the hose with them.

"I'm Michael and this is Erin." He told us, slowly walking closer. Niall and Zayn left the cooking table so we were all standing together.

I stepped away from Louis, knowing that I would have to explain and I helped him sit down.

"I'm fine, Harry." He protested under his breath so the others couldn't hear.

I just chuckled and let him go.

"I can do it." He said, sitting on the log and taking another drink from the water bottle.

"So we need to ask you a few questions." Michael said as he approached and stopped next to me. "There were reports of smoke?"

"Uh, yeah." I began. "A couple of the chairs caught alight and one of the tents. It must have produced a lot of smoke but it wasn't really that bad."

"Was anyone hurt?" Erin added, joining the conversation.

"Uh," I looked down and Louis who looked back with a glare.

"I'm fine!" He mouthed to me as he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, we're all good." I said, looking away from him. He clearly didn't want me to baby him, even though I couldn't help but worry.

"Okay," Michael turned to Erin. "We're gonna have to file a report, since this is a national park."

"Okay," Erin replied. "You talk while I'll scope, yes?"

"Yep," Michael replied as she started walking slowly around the site. I think she was just checking everything but I didn't get long to think about it before Michael was asking me questions again.

"First of all, do we know how it started?"

I looked around at all the others.

"Um, we think it was from the fire that we left burning." Niall offered.

He shuddered. He obviously didn't like hearing about carelessness around fires. "Okay," he said, writing something on a notepad he produced. "And you put it out?" he asked, turning to me.

"Yeah. I just chucked water over it." I told her.

"Mmhm. And no one was hurt?"

Louis stood up and put an arm around my waist. "Nope. We are all fine." He said with a smile.