Chapter Thirty-Three: Goodbye, Little One

Elle looked away as the casket passed her in the crowd.

The air was silent-- no one said a word. A tear rolled down her cheek, dripping quietly from her chin and splattering to the cobbles.

The Gondorian men carried the wooden carved coffin to the middle of the courtyard and laid it upon the stacks of sticks. 

Smoke filled the air as the torches were lit.

The moon rose high into the sky, adding light to the flickering darkness. The air was cold, icy. Ash drifted through the sky, coating the cobbles.

Slowly, a figure stepped through the crowd, standing before them all. Through her tears, Elle looked at Aragorn.

His face was heavy, his beard untrimmed and his hair wild. He looked more like a wild man than a King; Andruil was missing from his side.

But he lifted his chin, taking a torch in one hand. "People of Gondor."

Everyone was already still, everyone was already silent. 

Their eyes locked upon where Aragorn stood as the torch cast an orange glow upon his wearied face.

"A true hero has fallen this day; Samwise Gamgee. His name should be better recognized, his deeds should be sung into praises."

Aragorn hesitated for a moment, clenching his jaw. "Yet he fell here, his heroics known only among Gondor."

Silence met his words; Elle hung on to every word. She had stopped trying to force back the tears, bowing her head.

"War has taken the land. Sauron--" Aragorn voice crackled slightly and he stood taller. "The Dark Lord, Sauron has claimed the Ring."

Gasps of shock spread through the crowd and Elle's heart sunk deeper into her boots. Already she could feel the hopelessness in the air.

Already, Gondor had given up all hope of survival.

"Yet we must stand strong. We must unite with Rohan, stand for the freedom of Middle Earth." Aragorn lowered his head. "For Sam."

Elle found herself then-- she jerked to reality, looking up. Seeing the others, she pushed through the crowd.

The other members of the Fellowship pushed out of the crowd, joining Aragorn in the middle of the courtyard. 

Elle took a torch from one of the soldiers, turning her head from the casket. She couldn't bear to look at the body of her friend.

Legolas stepped beside her. Elle looked sideways at him-- there was pain in his eyes. A guilt.

They stood in a line-- Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Boromir. 

Legolas started with Gimli, turning toward the casket, with his torch. Elle followed, but halted as a quiet melody broke the air.

"Lay down,

your sweet and weary head.

Night is falling

you've come to journey's end."

Elle looked over in surprise-- it was Boromir. His voice was deep and shaking, cracking slightly. But true.

"Sleep now,

and dream of the ones who came before.