Chapter Fourteen: Hunting a Friend

The rest of the day passed quickly as they readied to leave. 

In the corner, the three hobbits huddled together, playing nervously with the swords that Aragorn carefully gave to them.

"These are special blades," he said sternly. "They were forged to wound the Nazgul themselves. Wield them carefully and they will keep you safe."

To Sam, he turned, placing a smaller and silver polished blade in his trembling hands. "Frodo's uncle asked that you carry his old blade, Sting." 

Aragorn gave Sam a heartfelt smile, squeezing his shoulder reassuringly. "Bilbo said he knows you will care for the blade until we find Frodo. He trusts in your words from earlier."

Sam blinked hard and nodded firmly, rubbing half-heartedly at his eyes. "I will, sir. Thank you."

Elle watched from the shadows, one thumb rubbing thoughtfully over the hilt of her dagger. Since the council, she had received more than one odd glance and suspicious stares and frankly, she was more than ready to leave. 

But to the hobbits and others, she knew they were leaving behind a lot more than she was. For them, it was harder than she could possibly imagine.

So they had agreed on midday, after all the goodbyes were said and done. She sighed softly, tucking a lock of loose hair behind her ear.

"Do you still wish for a sword?"

Elle jumped, whirling around and drawing her dagger. At her sudden movement, Legolas took a surprised step backward and Elle cursed, quickly resheathing her blade. 

"Valar! Don't you know it's rude to sneak up on people?" She shot him a dark look. "I swear, you elves should wear a bell!"

A half-smile crossed Legolas's face and he tilted his head. "I apologize, I did not mean to scare you."

"Huh," Elle shook her head. "You didn't scare me." She knew it was childish, but her raging ego wouldn't allow the blonde-haired elf to be amused at her expense. 

Although in response, Legolas only raised a playful brow.

"Oh no," his blue eyes danced. "Of course not."

Her own eyes narrowing, Elle tilted her head. Had that been an insult? Curse the elves, she could never tell!

Legolas cleared his throat and just then Elle's eyes caught the sheathed blade he was holding in his hands. Her gaze snapped to his own in surprise. "Wait, did you actually...?"

He smiled and gently handed it forward.

Gingerly, Elle took the sword in her hands, slowly unsheathing the sharp and shining blade. Her breath caught in her throat.

It was the most beautiful sword she had ever laid eyes on.

The hilt was wrapped in a soft leather and the blade gleamed a polished silver. Traces of gold swirled up the flat end, tracing to the sharpened edge.

Her throat constricted a little. It was the most amazing thing anyone had ever given her; the only thing anyone had ever given her. 

Elle didn't know quite how to deal with all the emotions roiling inside her stomach.

"It's beautiful," she managed to breathe. Looking back up, she met the Legolas's gaze, her smiling coming uncontrollably. "Le hannon, it's more than perfect."

He inclined his head, looking at her softly. "Perhaps I can show you how to properly wield it, at some point."

Properly... what?