Chapter Thirty-Four: Mournedhel

It stormed during their final night in Gondor.

Elle paced her chambers, unable to sleep. Her mind was going at a million miles an hour, her heart thudding against her chest.

At one point she drew her sword, facing her bedpost and releasing all her anger out in a few rageful slashes.

Soon, wood splintered across the floor and her breaths were heaving. Dropping her sword to the ground with a clatter, Elle slumped to her knees, staring at her hands.

"This is war... war is coming. This is war."

The word kept repeating themselves in Elle's head, over and over until she wanted to scream.

"I will avenge you... war is coming. I will avenge you."

Sudden the flooring behind Elle creaked and the door closed softly. A soft voice broke through her thoughts, "Tinnúviel?"

Instantly, Elle was on her feet, whirling around. The tip of her blade pointed at Legolas's throat before she realized who he was.

He stiffened but didn't step back, raising his hands. "Are you alright?"

"Valar," Elle lowered her sword. "Sorry, I'm sorry. I just-- reacted."

She noticed Legolas was dressed for war; a plate of armor upon his chest and cloak around his shoulders.

His bow was slung across his back, as well as his quiver, which was full of sharpened and gleaming arrows.

"You know," his eyes probed her own. "It is not a weakness to be afraid."

"I'm not afraid," Elle shook her head, turning away. She pulled on her tattered tunic. "I'm just-- I--"

I can feel it, this darkness. I want to kill them. I need to kill them.

"I'm just a little nervous," she said finally. "Sauron's armies, the Witch-king. They are going to pay."

Legolas's eyes seemed to darken slightly, concern washing across his face. "This is about Samwise."

"But it's not!" Elle pulled away, turning from him. "My mother, Haldir, Frodo. It's all of them! They deserve vengeance."

"And it's---" She trailed off, then shook her head. "Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, the hobbits. You."

"If this is about yesterday," Legolas stepped forward. "I apologize for my actions. I did not mean to... I did not think."

Elle turned toward him, unable to think of the words to say. Instead, she straightened her shoulders. "If this war should mean the end--"

"It will not," Legolas said firmly. "Sauron and his armies will be defeated. We are going to win this."

"But if it does," Elle pushed through his words. "I want to have left something. I want to have done something."

"You already have," Legolas said softly. "Through this Fellowship, you have left your legacy."

Elle bit down on her lip, looking up at him. Then she shook her head, "I'm going to avenge them, all of them. Even if I die trying."

Legolas opened his mouth-- then closed it. His brows furrowed and he nodded. "You will not face this alone. That much, I can promise."

At that, Elle grinned. She nudged his side, trying to calm her nerves. "Thank you, mellon-nin. I could ask for no more."

Legolas smiled, but Elle could tell there was still something on his mind.

She tilted her head, "Is something wrong?"