Chapter Thirty-One: The White City

"Why is the sun so bloody bright?"

Elle tilted her head up to the midday sky, blinking at the cloudy horizon. Then she looked back forward, where Gimli rode on Arod behind Legolas. "The sun isn't out."

Gimli grunted, dropping his head. "I can't even see!"

"That would be the after-effects of the liquor, Gimli." Boromir chuckled, "I myself am surprised you've even stayed atop your horse for so long."

Elle snorted at that and Gimli grumbled, "I drank no more than the elf."

"I did win the competition," Legolas mused. "I suppose I can actually hold my ale."

"Are you saying I cannot outdrink an elf?" Gimli spluttered.

Elle could hear the grin in Legolas's voice as he shrugged. "The words came from your mouth, not mine."

Laughter rolled through the group and as Elle spurred Firefoot up beside Aragorn, she caught Gimli's red face.

"Very funny," he mumbled. "Just wait, I'll show you."

Theodred looked up as Elle slowed beside him and Aragorn. "Lady Tinnúviel--" A smile tinted his lips. "Or should I call you Lady Elle?"

"Elle," she cracked a grin. "Without the Lady, if you'll please."

"Not a Lady," Theodred nodded, amusement in his eyes. "Based on your actions on the battlefield, perhaps I should call you a Lord."

"I wouldn't recommend that," Aragorn interjected quickly. "She backs a powerful kick behind her grin."

"Eru," Elle shot him a glare. "Only for the bothers that irk my last nerve."

"And I am safe from that category?" Theodred laughed.

"I would say yes," Elle grinned crookedly. "For the time being."

As they rode on, Elle's eyes roamed until she spotted Eowyn, riding farther toward the back of the group.

In the blistering heat, Elle couldn't imagine how hot she likely was, hidden under her thick metal helm.

But if Eowyn was uncomfortable she didn't show it, her blue eyes smiling as they caught Elle's gaze.

Elle masked a grin, wiggling her eyebrows at the girl. Instantly, Eowyn's eyes narrowed and she lifted her chin higher, looking away.

Chuckling to herself, Elle fixed her gaze back upon their path, listening to the other converse.

Under the cloudy sky, the road stretched ever on.

They rode straight for nearly two days, only stopping to water the horses and eat from their limited rations.

Elle's bottom was beginning to ache from the endless hours of riding, but she kept her complaints to herself, determined not to be the one to break first.

It was a silent competition going between her, Gimli, Boromir, and Legolas. The first one to cave would be stuck on horse duty for the remainder of their travels.

But at this rate, they would reach Gondor before Elle allowed her to resolve to crumble.

"How are you doing?" Legolas chuckled, riding up beside her.

Elle shot him daggers, clenching her jaw. "Better than ever. And you?"

"Like an elf with a millennia of practice."

"Hmph," Elle grunted, gritting her teeth. "Wonder why that would be."

"Don't you be complaining, lassie," Gimli muttered from behind the elf. "I'm the one stuck inches from his arrogant nature."