Chapter 2: Family Reunion

What I mean by, I was the one who tore our family apart is that when I was born I wasn't born the way my father would have liked. He always wanted a son, but never got one. There were some days that I was scared to come home because I thought he would give me up for adoption or overall just abuse me.

My mom always defended for me, so her decision for the family was to divorce my father and keep me protected from him. When I was little, I always looked up to my father because I loved him so much until I realized he didn't love me back.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" I asked as I let go of him.

"I was here because I realized I left something here when I used to live here." my dad replied.

"Oh, so you are not here to check up on me?" I ask.

"No, uh... I got to start heading back home. I'll see you later." he hesitated.

Leaving me in shock, my dad still doesn't love me. I sat down in the kitchen chair. Crying my eyes out, I didn't know what to do. The only thing I could feel right now is Alec's hand on my shoulder.

"It will be okay, Aleah. Everything works out in the end." Alec apologised with his comforting voice.

"Not everything." I wonder.

I got up and walked to my room. He is never coming back and it is all my fault. Family is supposed to be the most important thing, but as I see it in my eyes, it's not. All I see is darkness and what life could be. Life could have been the greatest thing, but to my luck it is not. I am lonely, alone forever, sad and alone. Drifting to sleep and it was like I could see through Alec's eyes.

I can see all his memories, faintly, and all the sadness he has been through. It was only a dream, but it felt real. He has nothing, but still decides to be there and protect me. Alec's mother is dead and I never knew until now. Alec has the whole family on his shoulder and still finds time for me. I started to wake up and I saw Alec at the edge of my bed praying to god that I will be ok, I sat up.

"Hey, Alec. I want to know more about you. What is going on in your life?"

"What do you mean?"

"I want to know what goes on when you are not with me. Things you need to say to someone." I told Alec.

"Nothing is going on." Alec said in a stern, shaky voice.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes!" Alec said pushing me away.

"I know something is going on. I know your mom died and you never told me!"

The room was tense, the air filled with anger and silence. I looked at him and he looked at me. I crossed a line that shouldn't be crossed. Alec left the room in anger, what did I do? I'm such an idiot, in what life would someone bring that up.

My mother cannot pay for the bills alone and my father won't help her, it was time for me to help out. A feeling in the pit of my stomach said we should just go home but, deciding to ignore it, I shouldn't have. We arrived to the interview. Stepping out of the car, the buildings entrance was right in front of us. I had this weird feeling, like something was wrong.

"Hello, I am Aleah."

"Hello Aleah, you are the one here for the assistant job. Right?"

"Yes, shall we begin the interview?"

Sitting down to begin the interview. I just couldn't focus that much because I knew I messed up with Alec. I just listened to the surroundings, answering questions when needed. After about 30 minutes the interview was over.

Standing up, about to leave the room, when I heard a muffled scream and something smacking against the wall.

Busting through the door, I saw my mom on the floor. Men wearing black bandanas with a white diamond in the middle, dragging her on the ground.

"Mom! Let her go!" I screamed as I ran after her.

Running after her I couldn't hear anything other than her muffling screams as she is farther away from my sight. The men saw me coming closer, so they threw a lit match and it set a fire in front of me.

"Help, Aleah! Use your power against them!"

Power? What power? That didn't matter right now though. Running outside, I was trying to find another entrance, but all of the doors were locked. Smashing a window, cuts and burns, all over my skin, I still continued fighting. When I was climbing up the stairs, I still was hearing my mom's muffled screams and cries. Running as fast as I could up the stairs; I got to the top of the stairs when one of the men was there.

"Let go of my mother!" I said with no fear in my voice.

He pushed me up against the window by my neck.

"This won't be the end. Don't worry my child, there is much danger coming your way." he whispered in my ear.

"You will too."

I kick him in the stomach and he let go of me.

"You don't know who you are dealing with." I confidently said back to him as I ran towards my mom.

The building went completely up in flames when I my mom was laying my arms. She was covered in burns and wounds.

Why my mother?

Leaning in I could hear her faintly say something to me before I did something that I never knew was possible.