Chapter 43

Chapter 43

Malcolm drove like a madman.

"Get Dr. Kirkland! Whitney's going to need a transfusion as soon as we get there." Rami growled before snapping his phone shut.

"You could change her," he rasped. Madraeus looked at Rami then back at Whitney sprawled across his lap. 

"No. We'll make it." Madraeus shook his head. "Malcolm, go faster!" 

Time dragged on.

Finally they skidded to a stop sending gravel flying across Mrs. Myers steps. They hauled Whitney's limp form into the house. Dr. Kirkland was waiting for them at the door. He didn't wait for them to take her to a room he shoved an IV into her arm while Madraeus still held her.

"What's happened?" Mrs. Myers fluttered around them as they settled her on the floor just inside the door. Kirkland worked quickly manipulating the bags of plasma and tubing. 

"Cecelia happened." Rami sighed as he watched the doctor work.

"Oh my poor Whitney!"

"Will you be alright from here?" Rami asked Kirkland.

He lifted one of Whitney's eyelids and then the other then checked her pulse again. "Yes. I think we were in time." He said as he continued to examine his patient. 

"We must return to the mine." Rami glanced at Madraeus. He was still kneeling beside Whitney. "Ray, we have to go."

"Why?" Mrs.Myers asked.

"It's almost dawn. We cannot afford to waste an entire day. There are..." he thought about the people in the cells, "loose ends we need to tie up."

Madraeus shoved to his feet and swayed.

Mrs. Myers hand shot out to steady him. "I think you better grab something to eat before you go." 

Twenty minutes later Rami, Malcolm and Madraeus were revitalized and ready to return to the mine. Madraeus' strength was returning as he stepped out of Mrs. Myers door only to find the yard filling with vehicles. Thomas stepped out of the nearest car and looked up to see them coming out of the house. 

"Is she alright?" he called.

"So far." Rami growled.

"We gathered all the spent arrows and weaponry from the yard and loaded all the evidence we could find into every car we could." He reported. "Vivian is watching over the remains of the werewolves. We moved them into a pile and set it ablaze. We left the vamp bodies for the sun."

"Any sign of Philtzer?" Rami asked but Thomas shook his head.

"He'll be back." Madraeus muttered. 

"We didn't know what to do with all those people," Thomas shrugged.

"I'll deal with them." Madraeus yanked the car door open and got in.

"What are we supposed to do with all this?" Thomas gestured toward the cars behind him.

"Search for any clues to Cecelia's plans or where she's been or going. Anything you can find. We'll be back soon." 

Once they reached the mine Vivian, Malcolm and Rami went to search the mine but Madraeus had stayed at the door of the shaft house and watched the morning light creep across the yard. He felt nothing as he watched the bodies of the fallen vampires catch fire one by one. Finally he turned and strode to the elevator. There was more gruesome work to be done.