Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Despite her reassurances to Madraeus, she didn't feel safe. She kept glancing around wondering if Justin was hiding behind some tree or in some doorway. She had jumped at every sound and flinched every time she caught movement out of the corner of her eye. 

"So do you have any ideas on what I should say?" Whitney asked Mrs. Myers on the way to her grandmother's house. She had already discarded as many ideas as she had come up with about what to tell her.  

"It just depends on the situation."

"Great thanks for the help!"

"I'm sure we'll think of something." Mrs. Myers squeezed Whitney's hand as they walked up the path.

When her Grandmother had enveloped her in a huge hug as soon as she walked through the door, it had almost reduced her to tears. 

"Grammy, this is Mrs. Myers, from Orchard Employment." Whitney shoved the older lady forward in an effort to avoid breaking down.

"Ah Mrs. Myers, I've heard a lot about you."

"Nice to meet you." Mrs. Myers smiled broadly and shook Elizabeth Martindale's hand.

They hadn't even sat down before Grammy started in on the interrogation.

"So tell me about that rat Justin. Why did he attack you? I always knew he was not good. Do the police have any news?"

"Grammy, please." Whitney couldn't get a word in, "I'll tell you the whole thing." 

Whitney was pretty sure that Grammy knew that she had left bits out of her story. That look she gave when she knew that Whitney was lying and was disappointed in her was hard to miss. She had felt like a kid caught in the act, but what could she do? The truth was out of the question. 

"Why don't you just come back home, Whitney? Is that job so special? You can find another one. I don't like you being out there by yourself."

"It's not the job, Grammy, it's Justin." Madraeus would get along great with her grandmother they were both on the same wave length. 

"Mr. Ravilla is a very good employer, Mrs. Martindale. He is in the middle of a delicate business deal that Whitney was instrumental in bringing about. The business couldn't go on without her at the moment."

'Way to spin it Mrs. M!' Whitney thought as she stared at her boss.

"Hmm." Whitney knew that her grandmother had not believed a word of it but her good manners wouldn't let her argue the point in front of company. However, that didn't stop her from asking one more question. "Are you sure you're safe from Justin living alone in the middle of the city?"

"Yes, Grammy, with all the building security, it is very safe." At least she had answered that one honestly.  

"I'm not convinced. I would prefer it if you came home." Elizabeth pursed her lips.

"Grammy, I'm safer there than here. What if Justin showed up here? I don't want you to get hurt. At least in town I'm surrounded by security and even some bodyguards."

"Bodyguards! Is your job that dangerous?" Oops wrong thing to say! Whitney thought.

"Mr.Ravilla has engaged some extra help during this crisis. He wants to keep everyone safe as well." Mrs. Myers jumped in. "Speaking of which, I see the sun is starting to leave us behind. I need to get home before dark." Mrs. Myers smiled sheepishly. "These old eyes don't drive too well at night anymore."

"Hmm." Grammy looked Mrs.Myers up and down.

"I'll call you soon, Grammy, Love you!" Whitney hugged her tight before they left.