Chapter 16: Pining

The reader and Tamaki have some things to work out...but it's always a bit awkward isn't it? Enjoy!

After seeing Nejire, you had some time before the second round to do whatever you wanted. Tamaki said he needed to recharge and eat some food quickly, so you decided to follow him. There were tons of food stands outside of the stadium because the Sports Festival was a huge event after all, on par with the Olympics.

"Wow Tamaki! Look at all this food!" you said, your eyes wide and bright as the wonderful smells hit your nose and nearly made you drool on the spot. "This is crazy!"

"I guess I didn't realize just how many people this event serves." Tamaki replied, eyeing the greasy looking fries in red and white containers. "Those look good."

"Oh! If you eat those can you turn your fingers into fries for me? That'll be the best  contact picture ever!"

"Sure...I don't think I've ever tried that actually." Tamaki said. You smiled at him but there was something different about Tamaki today. He seemed...brighter?

Maybe you were just imagining it though.

Or were you? Without thinking, you tightly shut your eyes and willed yourself to say exactly what was on your mind!

"T-Tamaki I-I think you look really cute when you're happy!" you shouted at the top of your lungs. You were expecting some sort of stuttering response from him but instead you were met with complete silence. You opened your eyes. "Tamaki...?"

He was nowhere to be found. "Tamaki?"

A few people were giving you strange looks but you could care less about them. Where the hell was Tamaki?

"Y/n! Over here!" His voice called out to you and you had immediately realized what had happened. Tamaki had gotten distracted by some food and your spontaneous confession had not even reached him. You started walking in the direction of his voice, your heart full with strange and new emotions.

Frustration. Fear. Excitement too.

It was all there and it was all making you more stressed than ever. In the distance you saw him bent over a particular food stand that had a bunch of greasy food on display. His eyes met yours and he gave you a tiny wave.

"The food here is pretty cheap!" he shouted with a smile so bright it made you stop in your tracks. When he smiled at you like that you could almost feel your heart skip a beat. He might've thought that he was a pretty boring person, but to you, he was the brightest and kindest person you had ever met. 

This was your true realization. He didn't deserve some half-assed spontaneous confession, he deserved so much more!

Tamaki...I think I really like you. I need to find the right moment because you deserve to have some thought put into it. I just hope I can pull it off though...

"Y/n? Is everything ok?" he asked, interrupting your swirling thoughts. You immediately composed yourself and began walking towards him again.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just thinking about my next fight..."

"Do you know who you're up against?" He asked.

You nodded. "If that girl Yoko wins her match I'll be up against her. I'm looking forward to it if that ends up happening! After what she did to Mirio!"

"Don't go too crazy...she might not make it." Tamaki warned you, his small smile betraying what he was really thinking though. You chuckled at his slyness, and your eyes turned to the food stand.

"I'm not worried about it. Let's eat!"

...

Meanwhile...

"Hey Mirio!" Nejire called out as she entered the seating area. Recovery Girl had allowed her to watch a few matches before she had to return for more healing, but Nejire was glad for the short time she could spend with her friends. "Where's y/n and Tamaki?"

"They went to buy some food. How're you feeling? You look like a badass with that bandaged head!" Mirio commented, motioning for her to take a seat.

"I feel like a badass!" Nejire replied cheerily. She plopped down next to Mirio, and rubbed the back of her neck. "I actually came here to talk to you. I wanna ask you something...it's just something I've noticed."

"Ok! What is it?" Mirio asked.

Nejire looked over her shoulder to make sure no one was eavesdropping before she continued talking. "Y/n and Tamaki...are they like a thing?"

"...A thing? What kind of thing?" Mirio asked, his eyebrows becoming furrowed with confusion.

"I just noticed how she looks at him. And how he looks at her...and I think there's some feelings there. Romantic feelings. What do you think?"

"Oo la la! Tamaki's never even kissed someone before, so if he has a girlfriend already that would be crazy! But my guess is that they're not official yet." Mirio said, putting air quotes around 'official.' Nejire raised an eyebrow and Mirio continued. "If they were I'm sure Tamaki would've talked to us about it first. He'll need a lot of support with this kind of thing."

"True. I was thinking about poking fun but it might literally kill him. His timid heart might not be able to take it..."

"We can save that for when they clear things out with each other!" Mirio said.

"Oh yeah definitely!"