Chapter 5: New Day

The "friendship square" gets used to U.A. little by little ^_^ Again thanks for reading! It's been a lot of fun so far. This chapter will focus more on Mirio and the reader interacting so I hope that's ok. This is the shortest chapter so far and Tamaki will definitely be in the next one I promise. Enjoy!

The warm sunlight filtered into your room through your thin curtains, waking you from your restful sleep. Sitting up with a groan you felt a sharp pang in your stomach before it turned into a deep rumbling sound.

Did I sleep all through dinner!? 

You practically flew out of bed, threw on your uniform, and brushed your hair quickly before bounding down the stairs. Kyoko's raspy but shrill voice could be heard even before you reached the kitchen.

"I want an apple with my lunch not a...what is that?"

"It's a dragonfruit. I got it on sale." your mom replied, her voice soft but firm so you knew that Kyoko would have to eat that strange fruit no matter what. You entered the kitchen and made yourself a bowl of cereal. "Oh y/n. Don't you want something else to eat? Something more filling?" your mom asked.

"Nope! I'm fine." you said with a bright smile. After what happened between you and Blood King yesterday, you decided to try and be happier and not let it bother you. In fact, you were hellbent on proving Blood King wrong. You weren't reckless and you knew your limits! That's what you believed anyway...

"Alright. But you'll have to eat healthier...I read an article about All Might's diet and he says--"

"Gotta go mom!" You said, your hand already on the doorknob. Before your mom could tell you the awesome details about All Might's diet, you were out the door.

Kyoko giggled loudly, and your mom shook her head. "Y/n...she seems happier compared to yesterday."

"She's a moron!" Kyoko said bluntly, coughing into her arm faintly.

"C'mon now. You need to take your medicine."

...

You made it to U.A. early enough, a bright smile still adorning your face. You thought back to when Tamaki asked you to train him, and you felt excitement start to course through your veins at the thought of sparring and spending time with him.

I should get his number, you thought hoping that he wouldn't be nervous about giving it to you. You became lost in thought as you hopped up the front steps of the school building until you heard rapid footsteps coming from behind you.

"Watch it y/n! I'm coming in hot!" Mirio said, bounding over the steps two at a time until he practically crashed into you at the top of the stairs. He stumbled back slightly before regaining his balance, a wide grin pulling at his lips. "How's it going?"

"It's fine..." you replied, thinking back to what happened yesterday though, "actually it's great! Never been better. Let's talk about you for a minute though."

"Sure!" he said, as he opened the front door for you and bowed forward like he was a butler. "I'm always up for talking about myself!" he said with a wicked smile.

You chuckled at his silliness, glad that the conversation had steered away from you. "So, we've known each other for a whooping three days now and I don't know what you're quirk is."

"...Huh. You're right y/n! HA! That's so weird." Mirio said, running a hand through his blonde locks. "Well I'll try to explain it as best as I can...it's kind of complicated."

"Try me!"

"Well I can phase through solid objects, but I can't breath, see, or hear when I'm phasing completely through something. I just...feel like I'm falling and then I have to decide what angle I need to be able to shoot back out! I'm trying to control it better...my jewels are always showing because my clothes fall off but I hope my hero costume will fix that!"

Mirio laughed boisterously, but you didn't join in for once. You processed what his quirk really was, and you realized how simple your quirk was in comparison. To always feel like you're falling in complete darkness...it was horrifying to think about.

"Nejire already got a good look at my jewels during our sparring match--"

"Mirio! I didn't realize how difficult your quirk is for you and for that I'm deeply sorry!!" you shouted out, bowing your head down. Your eyes trained themselves on the ground while you waited for Mirio's reaction.

He laughed at you. He laughed so hard that he fell down on the ground, his hands clutching his sides as small tears streamed down his face. By the time he calmed down, you were already standing up straight with your hands on your hips. "I didn't realize I was making a joke. I thought we were sharing something serious here!"

Mirio smiled and reached over to ruffle your hair playfully. "It's not that serious my friend! I'll be fine...I'll learn to control my quirk and then I'll be the best hero I can be. I'm just worried that Nejire won't be able to look me in the face anymore!" he said with a chuckle.

You sighed like you were frustrated, but really you were relieved. You were definitely in good company at U.A. High, and as you walked to your class with Mirio you thought about how you were going to become the best hero you could be. 

After all, it wasn't just your future at stake.