Chapter 18

Veronica's POV
"Are you sure Mija?" My mom asks, for the hundredth time. "Yes Mom, I'm going to school" I say while putting my notebooks in my bag. I sling the black leather Coach bag over my shoulder and turn to face her. "Please don't ask me not to go. It's just school. Remember what we said, time to get back to life" I say. She nods her head, "I'm proud of you, Mija. Lodge's make strong women" she says, lifting my chin. "I had a great role model. I'll see you later" I say, before walking past her and exiting the front door.

I walk through the lobby of the Pembrook with my heels clicking rhythmically along the marble floors, until I reach the front door and stop walking to pull it open. When I'm outside I see Archie leaning against his truck, looking at the front door, and me. "Need a ride?" He asks, making me smile. "I would love one" I say. He stands up and pulls the passenger door open for me, "what a great chauffeur" I say. He rolls his eyes, "if you call me your chauffeur you'll have to get a chauffeur because I won't drive you" he says after he climbs in the driver side. I laugh "Okay fine" I say, "let's go. We can't be late the first day back."

He parks his truck in the middle of the lot and I look over at the school. I take a deep breath then I feel Archie set his hand on my knee, "It'll be okay. As far as they know, you were in Paris for a foreign exchange program" he says. I nod my head, "Yeah I know. I'm just nervous about..." I fade out, he seems confused until he realizes the one person in there who knows and won't always keep his mouth shut. "Reggie" He says numbly, still a bit of jealousy lingering in his voice. "It's not a big deal" I say quickly. "It'll be cool" I say, stepping out of the car and closing it behind me, not waiting for Archie to keep up. "Ronnie!" He calls after me as I keep
walking towards the front entrance. "Veronica?" I feel someone grab onto my arm and I turn to face them. "Josie" I say, a smile forming on my face. "Oh my god" she says as she pulls me into a hug. I hug her back tightly and I see Archie's shadow appear on the ground next to us. I pull away, ignoring his presence, and I look back at Josie. "I can't believe you're here" she says with a smile. "Yeah I can't either" I say with a laugh, "ugh this all feels like déjà vu" I say looking up at the school. "Well not much has changed. I will catch you in the lounge, ah I'm so excited you're back" she says with a big smile. I smile back at her and she walks up the stairs into the school. "Are you gonna tell me what that was about back there?" Archie asks after she's inside the school. "Not everything needs to be talked to death. I'll see you in the lounge, I have to go to the office" I say before walking off, not waiting for a response.

I walk out of the office with my new locker assignment and schedule in hand, and I scan the schedule to see if I have any of my old teachers. Suddenly I run into someone and I put my hands on their forearm to steady myself. "V..." Reggie says, obviously surprised to see me. "Reggie" I stutter out, trying to avoid his gaze. "When did you-" he starts, but I cut him off. "Let's go talk"

"Where were you?" He asks, the second after I close the door to bio room. "Paris, that part is true. I told everyone that I was going to a foreign exchange thing but I really went to hide during my pregnancy" I say, walking over to the table he is standing at. He runs his hand through his hair, "so I have a kid?" He asks. I shake my head "no a family in Paris adopted her. They're very nice, I met them multiple times" I say. He sighs and nods his head, "Okay, that's probably for the best" he says. I nod "I agree, but if it's any consultation, letting her go was the most difficult thing I've ever done" I say. He nods, "I'm sorry you had to go through that alone" he says. "Did you name her?" He asks. I nod my head, tears threatening to spill over, "Yeah they let me pick. Her name is Reign Harmony Boyer, Boyer being the family who adopted her" I say. He smirks "Reign Harmony, that seems like a name you'd pick" he says. I smile, "Yeah..." I fade out. The tears escape my eyes and he comes closer, "I'm sorry" he says. I nod my head and he sighs, then pulls me in for a hug. I cry into his chest, "everyday is so hard" I say in between sobs. "The minute I think I'm passed it and that I'm done missing her, another wave hits. And I miss her all over again. It's like it was yesterday, no time has passed in the 5 months I've been without her" I say. He rubs my back softly and comforts me as I continue to soak his shirt.

Archie's POV
I walk through the hall searching for Ronnie, who wasn't in the lounge like she said she would be. I pass Josie and I quickly turn to face her, "have you seen Ronnie?" I ask. She nods, "Yeah last I saw her she was going into bio" she says. "Thank you" I say relieved and I take off to the biology wing of the school.

I walk passed 3 bio rooms and they're all empty until my eyes land on something I never wanted to see. Veronica is in Reggie's arms crying, and he's rubbing her back in order to soothe her. I try not to be jealous but the fact that they made a baby together and now have an actual child out in the world, makes that so much more difficult. Despite how much I care about Ronnie, I can't watch this. I turn back around and walk to the lounge, intent on pretending I didn't just see the love of my life hugging the guy who got her pregnant.

Sorry this took so long and still turned out shitty 😭😂