Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am.

Monday November 2nd

Post #1

I've never been able to get use to the chilly November winds caressing the grounds of the northern California suburbs. I've never liked the way the winds push and tug at my skirts as they rush to get by. During this time of the year I can't just throw on a dress and a pair of heels and go out-not if I want everyone knowing the color of my underwear. So I settled on high waisted jeans, a simple cropped top, and a pair of shoes my mom designed herself.

"It's about time you came down." My mom said serving her famous pancakes.

"Since when did you start wearing jeans? " Adam said examining my outfit. I rolled my eyes signaling that I wasn't in the mood for a joke.

"Sarah you look beautiful, Adam don't be a dick." My father said adjusting the collar of his navy blue button up. 

My dad always likes to look his sharpest; he likes his dark hazelnut hair to compliment his jaw line and to fall naturally to the side of his head. Whether my dad's sporting his clean shaven fresh face, or growing out a beard,  it's no secret that he could have any woman in the world. But though that is the indefinite truth, he never gives another woman anymore than a "hello".

We were gathered around the dining table when my dad brought up Christmas Break. Last year we spent half of the break in Italy and the other half in Spain to spend time with both sides of the family.

"I think we should stay in the country this year." My mom suggested.  "Last year we spent the entire break running around in other countries. We can spend some time in our summer house in Florida and come back to spend Christmas like a family."

My mom was always looking for ways to maintain her idea of what a real family would be like. She started modeling when she was fourteen so she didn't have the family meals, and family vacations she tries so hard to give us.

I spent my seventeenth birthday in Italy surrounded by tomatoes, pasta, and thick accents, so I wasn't exactly jumping out of my seat at the thought of spending more time with my uncles, grandparents, cousins-you get it. Fortunately, my parents were were only bringing along my mom's sister Angelina and her daughters.

"Mom our Florida house isn't big enough for Aunt Angie's family and ours." Adam argued.

I can't even remember the last time we all went on a family vacation together, and there he was trying to make sure it didn't happen.

"Trust me, it'll fit us all." My dad assured.

Sitting in the passenger seat of Adam's perfectly polished car, I could smell the tension.

"Alright what's eating you?" I asked not being able to take the silence anymore.

"I was thinking of spending my Christmas Break with Emily. But I doubt that'll be the case this year with Angelina's family coming.

"Adam, there's going to be plenty of room for Emily. And if not, you can always spend the second week with her when we come back home." I told him.

We jammed out to our favorite bands until we arrived at the school and the usual routine started. Everyday that Adam and I carpool to school together, the cheerleaders come running to his side eager to exchange a few words with him. The football guys pass a few "heys" and "hellos".; everyone in the parking lot tries to get on his good side. When it comes to me, they all just wonder why I can't be more like Adam. They of course greet me to, and the cheerleaders will compliment my outfit hoping I'll invite them to Fashion Week or get them a dress by my mom. But unlike Adam, I won't attempt to have conversations with them. I get enough attention with the tabloids stalking our family, I don't need a huge crowd of girls following me around too.