Patrick Stump x Reader - Hospital Guitar Critic

Start from the beginning

"(Y/n), are you awake?" these four words, you understood these four words. "If you can hear me, can you nod, raise your hand, squint your eyes?"

Instead of squinting, you tried to open your eyes again. This time it worked. The picture was blurry, dominated by white, bright blue and a light brown. Then slowly a face started to take form in front of you. It was a young man, red-blondish hair, black glasses and in a white laboratory coat as doctors wore it. He stood close to your bed, closer than the other people who stood around you.

When your gaze focused on him, a smile spread all over his face. "Well, hello there," he greeted you. He sounded relieved. "My name's Patrick."

You tried to nod but your neck was stiff so you tried to talk. Your voice was hoarse and it was hard to make a sound but finally you managed to line up a few words. "I'd introduce myself, but I guess you already know my name." Of course you could not just have said 'Hi'.

"I see you haven't lost your sense of humor," Patrick laughed. His laugh made you relax a bit more and you wished you could hear it more often. It sounded lovely. "That's a good sign. What's the last thing you remember?"

You closed your eyes and tried to focus. "A car crash, there was a car crash. And then sirens and there's blood everywhere and someone opens the door to get me out-" you stopped suddenly opening your eyes. "Where's Louise?"

Patrick's face got serious. He took a deep breath and looked you in the eyes.

Oh no.

"I'm afraid Louise wasn't as lucky as you," his voice was heavy with pain even though he had not known her.

You wanted to cry and scream and kick and yell and tell him you did not believe him but your body did not react. Your heart just broke silently while you stared at him. He pressed his lips together and lowered his eyes before he continued talking.

"Your left leg was broken and several of your ribs at both sides. We suspect a concussion, but you don't have amnesia, which is good. Also some of your internal organs were ripped so we had to operate." Suddenly he did not sound like the friendly man anymore, he was a doctor and that scared you. You wanted the Patrick back who smiled and laughed and made you feel better, not the one who coldly told you how broken your body was. "We're gonna have to keep you here for at least a few weeks, maybe more, depending on how the different injuries turn out." He looked back up at you, his eyes still holding emotions, even when his words were not. "Nurse Keller is going to look after you, if you need anything, call for her." And with that he turned around and left the small room, followed by the five nurses and junior doctors who had been listening to him talking. Suddenly you felt very alone and very lost.

After that you lost track of time. The windows were always covered by curtains and the artificial lightning in the hospital made it impossible to tell whether it was day or night. In regular intervals nurses checked on you and sometimes even Patrick payed you a visit, but he always was cold and professional. Sometimes you were in pain, that's when you asked for more painkillers but otherwise you were quiet. You were not allowed to get up from the bed because of your internal injuries so all you did was watch tv and sleep. You had hoped your friends would drop by, but no one showed up. And you had no family, none that cared for you anyway. Your parents had died when you had still been a small child. Once you were good enough to sit up, you saw someone had leant your guitar against the small table that was in your room.

Why did the stupid guitar survive, but Louise didn't? you sometimes thought bitterly.

You were just staring at the instrument when the door to your room opened. Much to your surprise it was Patrick. You still had no idea what his last name was, he was just Patrick to you. At first you wanted to turn away, you still felt weirdly betrayed that at first he had been so nice to you and then so cold. But now his face was relaxed and even a slight smile played around his lips.