Chapter 1

Nyla's p.o.v

Awe New york, known as the city that never sleeps, a place that most people love and wouldn't want to leave. Then theres me, good ole Nyla Porter, someone who would rather poke her eyes out then stay in this hell. I never fit in here with all the regular people, because I wasn't regular.

I was special in alot of ways. I could preform magic and was a mermaid, people wouldn't believe me if I told them because here things like that are just in fairy tales, which makes me think that I am from a different realm, one where using magic and being a mermaid is perfectly normal.

My father told me that I was adopted and I was glad to know that drunk wasn't my real father. I hate him with a burning passion.

You see my father treats me poorly, like I'm a slave. To top it off he likes beating me plus he is always asking me to get stuff in town for him, like right now. I am on my way to get food, most of it will go to him because he's a pig, but I also get somethings for me. The stuff for me mostly contains things he doesn't like.

Fruits and veggies are a prime example of things he doesn't like since my father prefers junk foods and hasn't eaten healthy in his life time. As I walked to the store I popped in my headphones and Ed Sheeran's song Barcelona began filling my ears so I didn't have to listen to the noisey traffic.

When I got to the store, I took my time while shopping, picking up everything on my list along with a pack of Oreos for myself. Once I paid for everything, I walked outside and hid the Oreos in my bag so my dad wouldn't see them.

It wasn't a far walk back to our crappy apartment, so luckily I didn't have to walk far with all the grocery bags. When I got to the apartment building, I took the elevator up to our floor and opened up apartment 26. I put the things away and hid the Oreos in my dresser.

"CHILD, IM HUNGRY!" I heard my dad yell from the living room, scared he may be drunk I quickly ran to see him

"Yes father, what do you want to eat?" I asked avoiding eye contact because he's scary most of the time.

"Make me spaghetti," he demands and I nod not wanting to argue with him.

I ran to the kitchen and began making his supper which took about 20 minutes to make. Since my dad never cooks, it's my job to do it and I had to learn quickly after mom died. Luckily she taught me how to make a few things.

After the food was done I put it on a plate for dad and brought it to him along with a can of beer "Finally, took you long enough," he says as I hand it to him.

"Sorry father I had to un-thaw the meat," I say timidly still not making eye contact.

"Go now child, I don't need you right now, come back later for your beating" he says and I run back to the kitchen and eat the food I made for myself, once I was done I ran back to my room.

A few hours later my father came into my room with his baseball bat ready to hit me "Please father, don't hurt me," I say hiding in a corner.

"WORTHLESS GIRL, MUST BE PUNISHED" he said advancing on me, he lifts his arm and is about to swing, I shut my eyes and cover my face waiting for the impact to come, but for some reason it never came. I opened my eyes and found that I wasn't at home, I was on a beach somewhere. How did I get here?......