[ 25 ] hero

a/n - oHOHO the chapter ive been waiting for and that's why it's super long ;))

♔ alexander hamilton ♔

wednesday night, 3:25 am. just two more days until... it occurs.

i've never really been worried about having to give the cash in at the due date. it's usually a simple: meet up, give him the cash, listen as he reminds me what happens if i don't get it in on time, then leave. it's not that big of a deal.

but this time, it is a very big deal.

why? because i've been slacking off these passed few days and i'm starting to have a feeling that i don't have enough money when in reality, i actually do. however, my mind has to play tricks on me and make me paranoid!

i have enough like all the other times, i know i do, but it just feels like i... don't? i guess it's just surprising that i've managed to get the right amount i need by not working as hard as i'm used to. it's a weird feeling.

as i'm thinking this, i feel the bartender watching with prying eyes behind me as i furiously scrub at the clean counter, clenching my jaw and glaring at my reflection. i guess trying to get my mind off things make me work a lot harder.

the sigh he sends out makes me bring my gaze to him, watching as he calmly begins to make a customer a drink. "you're doing it again, alex." he comments, professionally preparing the drink in his hands.

i blink for a moment, before grasping tightly on the rag and huffing out in annoyance. "sorry. it's just-"

"it's this friday, huh?" charles cuts me off, humming as he serves the drink and wipes his hands with the cloth hanging from his shoulder. he gives me a look and a small smirk, earning me to stare blankly at him.

"don't look at me like that."

"like what?" his smirk twitches.

i take note of his amused expression, before rolling my eyes and receiving an empty glass from a customer. i mumble a thanks before running the glass in water and then proceeding to dry it clean. "i'm still mad at you for doing that to us." i tell him, making him let out a small surprised scoff.

"you're still mad about that, alex? it was two months ago." charles lee says as he waves a customer goodbye and throwing me look over his shoulder. he grins and then leans in closer to me. "you're not gonna stay mad at me forever, aren't you?"

i finish off wiping down the glass and slowly place it down on the shelf attached to the wall, grumbling under my breath. "i will and i can."  i throw the cloth over my shoulder and wipe my hands against my apron. "you were a dick to everyone, especially john, so don't expect me to forgive you after a shit stunt like that."

i just watch as charles frowns at me, making me shoot him a glare then immediately flash a smile to a newcomer. he huffs and crosses his arms, and i barely get to hear him mumble, "john was the one who started it. i got punched in the face, i should be the victim."

he steps over beside me to serve another customer, but i slam my heel on top of his toes as he does so. a grin stretches on my lips as a pained expression twists upon his features. as if to deal with the pain, he slams a fist onto the counter and glares up at me. "you can't hold a grudge on me forever, alex." he hisses, but then the look fades away to a small smirk. "at least i don't have to watch your annoying ass be all nervous anymore."