[ 17 ] president madison: he has been disrespected

a/n - ok but i update every 5 days now for some reason

♔ alexander hamilton ♔

the restaurant is pretty slow for a tuesday evening that eliza and i had decided to sit down in the break room and just catch up. the whole thomas thing was 5 days ago, and i'm still depressed about it.

that night at john's place, i woke up to hear john yelling at his phone, even through my ear muffs. i wanted to distract myself from the thunder and john's rage by giving lafayette a call and ramble to him in french, but i couldn't find my phone. i still have no idea where it is.

though, ever since then, john has been acting a lot more nervous and scared around me all of a sudden. i'm kind of worried.

my mind wonders as i sip on a cup of tea. in front of me, eliza offers me a biscuit, snapping me out of my thoughts. "alex, are you listening? are you okay?" she asks me softly, and i place the cup down and flash her a smile, taking the biscuit from her.

"no, sorry, i'm alright." i mumble back even though i'm itching to get back to work and earn money. but what the heck can i do when there's no one here?

on the other hand, eliza seems ecstatic. "well you should be, because you're finally taking a long deserved break!" she chirps as i nibble on the snack. i slump at thought, but eliza giggles with her eyes twinkling. "and i can't help but notice something..." she says, trailing off and tapping her chin.

i give her a confused look and tilt my head. her grin settles down to a soft and relieved smile. "ever since you met thomas jefferson again, you've been resting so much more." she tells me, casting her eyes down to her own tea, and i can't help but dart my eyes away in embarrassment.

"that's not true..." i grumble, but the more i think of it, the more i realise it, and the more it causes me to deflate. i lean back into my chair. "he hates me anyway..."

eliza quickly snaps her gaze up and gives me a surprised look. "what? he does? what happened, alex?" she suddenly asks me solemnly, taking my hands in hers and squeezing them. i shrug.

"he just hates me. i leech off him, so..."

"he said that?!" eliza gasps sharply and abruptly stands up. my gaze follows her, and i blink in shock as her expression twists to anger. "oh, that tall ass is so dead-"

"who's dead?" a voice pipes up from behind me. when eliza and i turn to see who's walked into the break room, i see angelica standing there with a smile on her rosy cheeks.

eliza squeals, her anger instantly fading at the sight of her sister. "angelica!" she rushes up to her and wraps her arms around her.

angelica grins. "eliza." she hums, hugging her back and patting her head.

i grin. "what are you doing here?" i ask angelica, standing up to greet the oldest female schuyler. angelica looks up at me and shrugs her shoulders with a smirk.

"i came to pick up eliza from work, of course." she tells me and then props her forearm on top of my shoulder and leans on me. "seems like you got so caught up in eliza's beautiful eyes that you didn't realise your shift ended fifteen minutes ago."