[ 04 ] caffe mocha in venti please

♔ thomas jefferson ♔

i was walking home when i saw alexander on the ground, looking hopeless and shattered. my heart actually clenched at the sight. unlike high school, i didn't feel any happiness from it. watching hamilton drop and lose to me made me happy back then. but at that time? i felt like i needed to help him.

i didn't hesitate to go up to alexander and try to see what was wrong. when he looked at me, he seemed so scared... so fragile. like i should shrink him and put him in my pocket so i can protect him.

but the question is, why do i feel like i need to protect him? we weren't exactly close in high school... i guess i felt like it was normal to help someone out. i mean, we're adults now.

we walk down the cold streets of new york city, and i hear alexander sniff every now and then. i notice from the corners of my eyes that he's hugging onto his hoodie to find warmth. i felt upset with myself that i couldn't stop him from shivering.

after a very awkward walk, we make it to starbucks. it's not exactly a meal, but i'm not hungry since i just had dinner with aaron, and from the look that flashes upon alexander's face tells me that he's okay with it.

when we enter into the warmth of the building, i see alexander visibly relax and let out a breathy sigh.

under the light, i finally get to have a good look of him: he looks dangerously tired. his shoulder length hair is in a messy ponytail and i can't but notice his red puffy eyes. according to the look in his eyes, he looks like he has a lot of things going on right now.

we make our way to a booth and we both slide in so we're facing each other. i watch as he immediately squeezes himself against the window, crossing his arms and sighing softly.

there's another awkward moment before i softly ask him, "i'll order, hamilton. what do you want?" i try my best to give him a kind smile, and it seems like it was genuine because he smiles slightly back at me.

he sniffs and shrugs, "caffè mocha in venti, i guess." he basically whispers, avoiding my gaze.

i cock up an eyebrow, "venti is the largest size." i state and he just nods, his eyes briefly meeting mine before he looks away again.

blinking, i begin to slowly slide out of the booth, "okay... if you can drink that much coffee, i'll get it."

he nods again and then slowly digs into his bag. i pause and watch as he shuffles the contents inside before taking out his wallet. my confusion melts away and i chuckle softly, shaking my head when he offers cash. "i'll pay."

i watch as alexander stares at me blankly, then looks away with a slight pout, "what's up with you and not taking money?" he mumbles, and i only roll my eyes, chuckling slightly.

"i'll be quick." i tell him before slipping out of the booth, giving him a quick smile.

♔ alexander hamilton ♔

thomas definitely changed.