[ 22 ] organising an outing

♔ thomas jefferson ♔

a soft sigh leaves my lips as i strain my eyes and type away on the keyboard, the soft glowing light of my laptop screen decorating my skin. the fact that the rest of the living room is pitch black doesn't help the situation at all.

after a few more tapping on keys and making my brain suffer, i bring a hand up to my eyes and rub them, pinching the bridge of my nose. i have to write a witness document by next week and i've hardly started. this is what happens when you procrastinate, kids.

i shift my gaze to the time on the bottom right of my screen, realising that is currently two am on a saturday morning. this causes a groan to emit from the back of my throat as i fall back onto a cushion on my couch's armrest.

how long have i been working now?

when i arrived back home with alex, it was around six pm, and i started working at nine. since when did i do late nighters? alex is rubbing off on me.

quickly saving my document, i shut my laptop screen closed and wince at the sudden darkness that sweep over my eyes. after a moment of adjusting, i stand up and painfully stretch my back, yawning in the process. i begin to wonder if alex has fallen asleep.

taking my laptop and slowly heading upstairs, i begin to head to my room to place my laptop away, but as i pass alex's room, i hear his annoyed voice faintly echo through the walls. my eyebrows furrow at this as i find myself in front of his door. since when does alex take calls in the middle of the night?

confused, i approach his door and raise my hand to knock on it, but i pause when i hear his voice more clearly.

"i know, i'm sorry i haven't been answering your calls..." his voice seeps from the cracks of the doors, sounding very distressed and tired. i drop my arm and stare at the door, continuing to listen to him talking on the phone. "no, i wasn't ignoring you, i lost my phone... i'm sorry." there's a pause. "yes, i have your payment, i'll meet you at the usual spot friday... bye." there's a moment of shuffling, and then i hear a muffled breath.

this must be something to do with his debt...

i stare for a moment, before i groan softly and run a hand through my hair. this boy always makes me worry and i don't know if that's a good thing or not.

a sigh just flies from my lips as i bang once on his door with my fist, "alex, it's fucking two in the morning, go to sleep." i tell him quietly, my voice a mixture of softness and annoyance.

i hear a yelp of surprise from inside the room, before a meek reply comes after, "thomas?" there's a pause as the sound of socks tapping against wood echoes softly through the cracks. the door then opens, and i drop my arm, bringing my gaze up to the confused expression on alex's face.

however, his expression fades into surprise as he examines me, before he scrunches his nose, "i think you're the one who needs sleep. you look like shit." he tells me bluntly, causing me to shoot him a glare.

"gee thanks, shithead." the insult was halfhearted as a yawn suddenly cuts my off at the end. i scratch the back of my head and stare at him, "just don't take calls this late at night, it's annoying and concerning at the same time."