[ 01 ] knock knock

[ thomas jefferson ]

i stare blankly at the tv, not really paying attention to whatever is playing on the screen as i munch on the mac and cheese i prepared prior.

beside me, james is texting away on his phone, a bored expression on his features. he glances up at me, frowning. "hey, tommy." he suddenly says, in which i hum in response, earning a deadpan from james.

"isn't that your fifth bowl of mac and cheese?"

i give james a brief sideways glance before peering down at my half eaten meal. i then shrug before shoving my face with more cheesiness. "i'm hungry." i tell him, my voice muffled.

james only collapses onto my couch with an annoyed sigh, "tom, let's get some food." he pleads.

i shift my gaze to james, then swallow, "okay. but you're paying."

"what?" james groans, glowering at me, "why?"

"because i don't want to." i say like it's the most obvious thing in the world, staring at him with a neutral expression.

my friend narrows his eyes at me, pulling out his phone with a scowl, "i hope you choke and die on that." he mumbles, dialling the closest pizza place.

i only roll my eyes before finishing off the rest of my meal, ignoring what james said, "what're you gettin'?" i ask, getting up to wash my bowl.

james places his phone against his ear, "pizza."

"get cheese-"

"fucking hell, no."

i pout, then i slip into the kitchen, washing up my plate. this has got to be the most boring-est saturday i've ever had. i was planning to go out with friends, but the only person that was available was james. and james is a piece of shit.

we both just ended up watching netflix for 3 hours.

i can hear james from my living room, "yeah, pepperoni." he says into the phone.

i pipe up with a grin, stepping into the room after i had placed my bowl away, "with cheese crust-" before i could finish, a cushion was thrown to my face.

james hangs up, glaring at me as i catch the cushion before it could fall. i throw him an annoyed look, and he mirrors my expression, "you actually have a problem." he hisses at me.

i throw up the finger before plopping myself back onto the couch next to james. i hug the cushion and eye the tv again.

scoffing, james pockets his phone, "you're acting like a child."

"whatever." i mumble.

james only clicks his tongue and chuckles before his gaze shifts back to the tv. then he speaks up again, "oh yeah." he turns to me, "remember hamilton?"

at the mention of my old high school rival, i peer at james with interest, "alexander hamilton?" i ask, my mind drifting to all the good arguments and glares we shared in our youth, not realising the small smile that slips onto my lips.

james nods, "yeah, the guy on the phone sounded like him." he explains with a shrug, "wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a pizza delivery guy all his life." he says with a chuckle.

i arch an eyebrow, confusion etching onto my features, "hamilton's a smart man. he can handle himself." i tell him sternly, then i blink.

huh.

i haven't spoken to that guy since graduation, and that was years ago. we weren't even friends in high school. i wonder how he's going.

james looks at me, matching my expression, "have you guys been keeping touch?"