Redemption.°•

Jacob

I pushed the door open, trudging in with multiple things in my hand. Phiona pushed herself off of the couch instantly, indicating that she was coming to help me. She closed the door behind me and grabbed a sack or two that I held up with my arm. She sat them on the kitchen table and took the other things I had as well. I kicked off my shoes and looked around, acknowledging whether Jasmine was in the room or not.

"She's back in our room with Jonah." Phiona blurted out.

I shot my head at her in assumption she had witnessed my observation as to who was around. I simply nodded my head and began helping her place our groceries up into the cupboards.

"So how are you doing?" I asked.

"Fine." She answered softly as she scooted past me.

"Is the baby okay?" I asked.

"Yes." She spoke even quieter.

"Phiona, I have something to tell you. It's killing me that I've been keeping quiet with you." I said.

She stopped in her tracks, standing right in front of me with her arms crossed. She looked up at me as she waited for me to tell her.

"There was an eviction notice placed on our door a couple days ago." I stated.

She raised her eyesbrows, mouth slightly growing ajar. Her mouth closed back up as she took a deep, stressful breath.

"I've been saving some money up for the baby. I'll take it out and give it to you to pay the rent, I know we've missed it twice at the most so all of it should be enough and I'll go back to work too." Phiona explained softly as she continued placing everything away.

"I'm not going to do that to you and the baby Phiona." I said.

"It's not just about me and the baby Jacob, it's about all of us as a whole. As a family." She said.

"Yeah, but I don't want you working, and this is money to get everything for our new baby together." I explained.

"Jacob, it doesn't matter, I'll do what I have to do for our family. That's how passionate I am about taking care of you and our babies." Phiona retorted, her emotions coming to surface with every heave of her chest.

"I'm passionate too though Phiona." I said.

"Then you'll let me go back to working. Jacob, you just started this new job. Your boss isn't about to give you an immediate raise or loan, so it's best that I do this part for us and you have to let me if you want us to survive." Phiona made very valid points, and yet I just felt the need to shut her down and not let her step in for this mistake I made.

She left the kitchen and went into our room. I continued standing there, waiting for her return. She rushed back in with a thick envelope in hand. She gestured it towards me, both of her hands out, pushing for me to take it. All I could do was stare at it, she's much more of a responsible person than I will ever be. She's always ready for the worst even if she has to go back reclaim what she needs for the next portion of life. Her chest heaved, soft breaths coming, her eyes gently looked at me. I took the envelope and placed it on the counter. Her mouth opened, and just when she was about to talk, I hugged her. She sighed hugging me back, her hands caressing my neck.

"How can you be so wonderful?" I asked rhetorically.

"I love you Jacob, I'd do anything for you and our babies. I owe all of you my life, as a mother, and as a wife. That is my purpose." She stated as she stepped away from me. She picked up the envelope one more time and pressed it against my chest. "Now go and make the rent payment, I'm gonna call Quincy and Danielle."