Warned.°•

Jacob

So long it has been since I've seen Jasmine and her mother. Everyday I've wondered where they are and if they're safe. Just as I was walking towards the grocery store to get to working, I saw them sitting back in their original spots. It had been at least three weeks since they've been gone. To see how they were doing or get information on where they've been I walked towards them with a smile on my face. Jasmine lifted her head and saw me coming, but she put it back down in such sadness. I furrowed my eyebrows and slowly took one more step as I kneeled down in front of the two ladies.

"Hey Jasmine, how are you?" I ask with a smile.

"Hi Jacob. I'm okay." Jasmine responds with a shaky tone.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"Boy! If you don't get on to work and leave me and my baby alone, she says she's okay. Now you better just get." Jasmine's mother said.

"Excuse me ma'am, I just wanted to check on the two of you since y'all had disappeared for a moment. I'm sorry for the inconvenience ma'am." I said.

"I don't need your sorry and neither does my Jasmine and tell your little girlfriend to stay away from here too. She doesn't need to be around Jasmine, getting to know her more and such. She got enough nosey friends and she sure don't need no older girl as one." Her mother continued.

"Woah, wait a minute, why are you so mad miss? We haven't done anything." I said.

"Exactly, so before anything gets to be done, I'm warning y'all. If I catch either of talking to my baby again, you will be in for a rude awakening." She said.

"Okay, okay we got it. Just before I go though, ma'am what is your name?" I asked.

"None of your damn business now get out of my sight!" She yelled at me.

"Cynthia." Jasmine whispered barely audible.

"Cynthia ?" I asked her mother.

"Now the boy knows my name. Jasmine what did I tell you, huh!?" Jasmine's mother, Cynthia said as she swung on her daughter, getting her right in the back of the head.

Jasmine covered her head and I saw a single tear fall as she wiped it away, becoming quiet, knowing not to say another word again.

"Aye, you ain't gotta hit on her like that." I said.

"Don't tell me how to raise my child you lil bastard. Go to hell." Cynthia said.

I stood before them and shook my head at the mother and looked to Jasmine, for a final time to see if she'd be alright. I sighed at the dysfunctional relationship of the two. I walked into the store, clocked in, and finally got work. As I began, a first customer was walking in already. I looked up, seeing Jasmine actually. I stared at her in wonder why she left her mother outside. Instead of giving her a facial expression of worry, I smiled and made everything feel as comfortable as possible. I moved things around to make it look as if I was doing something productive. This is what I did to make sure she knew that I wasn't watching her every move.

With a slow pace at first and constantly looking back at the door, she sped up her walking and stepped right up to my register. She breathed a heavy breath and looked at me. Her eyes were nearly about to pour out tears but she held them in like a soldier.

"Jacob." Jasmine said.

"What's up?" I asked.

"Look, I know my momma said some things that were wrong. I apologize for her attitude all over but I just came in here to tell you to please help us no matter what she says, please help. I don't wanna go back." Jasmine explained.