Chapter 28: Where it started

Katerina's POV
Letting my cousin know the police are on their way was not a favor to him. Stefan deserves to die but I did it for Naila. I needed him to get away from her.

After he bolted, the rest of the maids scattered just as fast but I wasn't going to let Merideth leave. I wanted Stefan to get away for my family's sake. If he gets arrested, I will never find Naila's son as well as it will anger my father.

When she attempted to chase after him I grabbed her by the hair and pulled her back. She broke free pulling out her knife. She tried to take a jab at me but she missed. I slammed her head repeatedly against the wall until she passed out.

Rushing back to Naila's side, I glanced at my watch.

I am running out of time.

I grabbed the huge syringe I brought with me and quickly drove it into her chest. After injecting the liquid in, I yanked it out. I started resuscitations hoping that I haven't waited too long.

"Naila wake up. Naila come on." I kept going aware of the sirens fast approaching. Knowing my ride is not far off, I chose to drag her out. The house is fairly abandoned. It seems as though no one wants to be caught up with Stefan's arrest.

Bringing her down the stairs is the hardest thing because I have to carry her over my shoulder. She's heavier than she looks. I wish I could just drag her down. I took the back exit around the same time I heard the police attempting to break-in through the front door.

I carried her to the abandoned gate out back. I moved through a small trail full of trees. Naila is still lifeless and I hope the drug meant to resuscitate her is kicking in. I can see the SUV and Nickolas is pacing impatiently.

"Help me!" I called out. "She is heavy!"

"What happened?" He took her off my shoulder. I sighed in relief. He set her down in the back seat of the SUV. "Why is she so cold? Katerina what happened? Is she dead?"

"Stefan wouldn't let her go." I got into the back seat as he took the wheel. "Let's go Nickolas! This place will be crawling with cops in moments.

"Is she dead?" He asked again.

"She's supposed to have woken up by now." I tapped Naila's cheek. "Come on."

Nick sped through the rough narrow road between trees anxious to know if Naila is awake. I looked on hopefully.

"She better wake up Katerina or you and I will have problems."

"Baby don't threaten me. I'm not scared of you." I warned him. "Come on Naila. You are a fighter. Come on."

Naila's POV
There is a familiar scent lingering close to my nose. It smells woodsy like a winter morning; perhaps sandalwood. I know the scent far too well. I used to take it in repeatedly each time we were this close. With Nick it is always an earthy scent with a hint of citrus.

"Oh hell!" I gasped my eyes shooting wide open. "Nick!"

I shoved the blankets aside but he held me still.

"Calm down cara mia. Calm down. You're alright." He whispered an assurance into my ears.

The room is dimly lit but I see the familiar blue eyes. I smiled slightly. They are warm and strangely affectionate. I have missed this gaze, the familiarity of it all. It feels like home with him. I feel safe.

"Nick," I spoke a little more softly calming my erratic heart down. "It's you... It's really you."

"There we go. You're safe." He touched my face with his warm hands pressing the warmth of his body against mine.