Chapter 7: Photograph In the Rain

Wayne never raised us to cry. He believes kisses and cuddles don't solve anything but make a person weak. I blame it on his upbringing and the fact that he has never had woman to soften him up a little. As far as I can remember Wayne has always been single. Apart from the occasional flings, he never brought a woman home. He never introduced us to any of his female 'friends' either. Apart from one occasion when I walked in on him with his pants down and a woman kneeling in front of him at Bellingerre Consolidate, I have never seen him with a woman. I think he is far too cold to love. He doesn't have a beating heart.

He believes in confronting the situation instead of hiding. Other than Nick, Wayne is the most confrontational man I know.

When I saw Cole I failed to confront the situation. I ran from it. I should have told him what I know. I should have demanded an explanation. But instead I indulged in a lot of 'waterworks'. Wayne would be disappointed in me.

A few days down the line from that night, I am badly distraught walking around like a bloody post apocalyptic zombie. I feel like I'm reliving the first few days after my assault. I have even taken a few days off work hoping for a quick miraculous way to get over Cole. If only I could snap my fingers and move on but nothing is ever that easy. I miss Freya and all our sweet moments. I miss our long talks. I miss the feeling of having a mother. I have never had that, yet like every other opportunity life has given me I have screwed that up and I would probably be alone forever.

Bonnie has not come to see why I haven't left my room. She is cold but then circumstances tend to change people; misfortunes can harden a heart. Perhaps she has a few of her own tragedies. I miss Marc because he would definitely check on me.

"Lyn are you dead or something?" She banged on my door ruthlessly.

I ignored her and dropped my towel only for her to storm in uninvited.

"Holy Molly!" She shrieked staring at my pregnancy like some sort of abomination from hell. "What is that!"

I quickly picked up my towel covering the front side of my naked body. "It's bloody rude to walk in without knocking!" I chided her.

Bonnie is still speechless. She is right next to me. It's as though she has seen something never before seen. I am beginning to feel awkward. "You're pregnant!"

"You're a woman!" I retorted sarcastically. "Of course I'm bloody pregnant! Or do I look bloated to you?"

Her brown eyes narrowed at me. I have lived with Bonnie long enough to realize how sensitive she gets when she is on the receiving end of sarcasm. "You can't stay after it's born." She said coldly. "I won't wake up to that brat screaming at night. Hell no! I want you out!"

"Don't worry. I'm not keeping it." I cast the towel aside and started getting dressed. I have finally made a decision. The baby has to go.

"Good. It would be stupid to delude yourself that you can be a mother at your age. It doesn't suit you. I know a guy who can help you get it out at an affordable cost."

"Where's the guy?"

For the first time Bonnie and I are agreeing on something.

*
I don't trust the place. For starters it is cleverly concealed behind a grocery store. When I told the receptionist I was there to buy something to help detoxify she handed me a key to a back door. She also gave me a nasty look. She is more than aware of what happens behind these closed doors.

I walked through the abandoned dirty hallway until I reached a reception.

Two pregnant girls roughly my age are seated there looking just as nervous as I am.