Prolouge

Callie

I can't say I was ever perfect but I remember once I was very happy. I live with my loving but strict grandpa and my beautiful outstanding cousin, Marie. We used to be one happy family until well...I was squidnapped and I was turned into well a dj a raging she dj. Once Marie had saved me from the spell I was under everyone looked at me different I was not the same loving innocent Callie to them even though they never said it in front of Marie I was bullied when Marie was not by my side sometimes it was over text too. They said things like "either go back to the octolings or kill your self you wouldn't be dwelled on anyway" or "look its Callie the traitor who tried to hurt our Marie." I told Marie that I felt down only once because when I did she just thought I had a cold. So I kept all my bullying problems and my depression on the inside, because I love Marie to much for her to be sad over me. Everyday I could feel my mind and heart slowly breaking and filling with black ink just to hurt me more.

***

Marie

"Hey Callie, I'm gonna take a nap," I called out. "Kay..." she answered back softly. Lately I've been tired, and a nap sounds so good right now. I flop right on my cushions of my bed. I arranged myself and soundly fell asleep. Everything was silent, no movement, no sound. That's when I heard a loud thud. I woke right awake from that. I look at my phone real quick. "4:30." I got up to stretch and yawn. I got to my feet and stumbled to the sound. It came from Callie's room. "Callie? What was that noise-" I walked in, to see Callie laying on the floor. She didn't look like she was sleeping. Right beside her was a whole capsule of pills, scattered right by her head. I rushed my head on her chest to hear any beats. It was a bit slower. My eyes blinded me with tears. I held Callie in my hands. "Grandpa! Grandpa!" I called for help in between sobs. I didn't get any response. My anxiety drowned me. I whipped out my phone and dialed 911. "Where do you live?" The police asked in alert. I gave them our address. "That's a bit far from this station, but we will be here as fast as we can," they said. "Ok... I'll try to walk, until you can get to me..." I wiped my tears with my sleeve. We both hung up. I carried Callie's (almost) lifeless body and charged out of the door. I had to hurry, so I just ran, ran where the nearest hospital is. I couldn't let my cousin die, she's my only friend..

I ran for miles, and miles. That's when the ambulance showed up. "Quick take her," I carefully gave Callie to them. I jumped right in and we drove all the way to the hospital. They put heart sensors on Callie and IV's. I curled into a ball in a chair sobbing into my knees. We arrived shortly and they all rushed Callie in. I tried to follow, one of the doctors stopped me. "We can't let you beyond this point... Miss you're too young," he said. "I'm 15, I'm old enough!" I yelled with tears spatting out of my eyes like a sprinkler. "Oh... but we don't want you come in yet," the doctor calmly puts his hands on my shoulders. He got to my short level of height. "Listen, we are going to do the best we can to help, but we need you to calm yourself," he said softly. I wiped my tears, and sat down in the waiting room chairs. I stared at my knees, my breaths are short. I was surrounded in a dark, isolated, place. I closed my eyes. And thought to myself. "Why did she... try to die?" That thought rang in my head, haunting and taunting me. Without Callie, what would happen to the squid sisters? Without Callie, who would bother our grandpa with me? Without Callie, how do I become a better person?

A light tap touched my shoulder like a rain drop. I look up to see a doctor with a sincere smile. "Were you the one who took Miss Callie here?" He spoke clear, but gentle. "...Yes, I was the one who got her here," I said. "Do come with me," he ushered me up to walk with him. He pulled me into a corner in the building. "I must keep you updated, are you willing to give me your phone number?" He said. I had to trust him, for Callie. I gave him my number then he said. "Since you're already right here, lets go to her room," he motioned me to room 3-124. He opens the door for me and I see Callie, connected to a lot of machines, a mask over her face to breath. My hands shook when I saw her. Fear crawled down my spine. "It is to say that, Callie... is in a coma. We figured it was from the collapsing," he said. "A c-coma?" I stuttered quietly. "It's not common, but I'm sure she'll be fine," he tried to smile. I nod. "I should tell my grandpa then..." I murmured to myself and whip out my phone. I dial his number and he ruffly picks up.

"Marie? What in the darn fish sticks are you calling about now?" Cuttlefish snapped when he picked up the phone. I gulp in guilt. "Better yet, where's that Callie girl too?" Tears blinded me. "G-Grandpa... me and Callie, are at the hospital," I said, trying to sound strong and not crying like a baby. "What?! What in the carp are you doin there?!" He said. "Grandpa... just come over to the hospital. I'll explain to you when you arrive," I couldn't keep it up for a long time, I broke down on the phone. "Marie?" Grandpa sounded more quiet, and worried. "I'll tell you, but you need to come to the hospital," I said quietly. "Okay, I'm on my way," he hung up softly. I turned off my phone and grabbed a seat, moving by Callie's bed. I closed my eyes, more tears slowly ran down my red flushed cheeks. Grandpa shortly arrived. "Marie...?" He said. "What happened... to Callie?"

"C-Callie... is in a small coma," I said, just summing it up. "Coma?! Marie what heck?! What did you do this time?!" Grandpa yells at me. "It... wasn't me," I spoke softly. He glared into my amber eyes. I locked my wet teary eyes to his big sharp ones. "Marie... let me ask you one more time. How did she get in a coma?!" He said firmly. "Could I tell him," The doctor said nicely. "Y-Yeah... that might be better..." I sniffled. "Your grandsquid, found Callie... on the floor. With pills," The doctor spoke softly to him. "She..." Grandpa choked on his words. "Afraid so, we are doing the best we can," he put his hand on Grandpa's shoulder. He nods. The nurse comes in. "I'm afraid that you two need to leave," she said.

Me and Grandpa walked in his car and drove home. "Hey... Marie?" He said before we got out of the car. "Yes, Grandpa?" I ask with a bit of timidness in my voice. He paused. "Never mind, get off to bed," he huffed. "Alright, gramps," I said as I softly exited the car. My feet carried my tired body to my room. I change out of my clothing and slipped into my pjs. When I turned off my light and got in the covers, I couldn't sleep. My eyes were wide open. And I had school tomorrow. And I know Grandpa would want my education to be perfect, and I bet Callie would like me to succeed too. I grabbed my music box and winded it up. I wanted to see if it would calm me down, and lull me asleep.

It worked, most of the time in the night.