On Eagles' Wings

It took a long 3 weeks, but we finally finished Abby's case. It wasn't anything we expected. Her killer actually was targeting someone else, but mistaken Abby for her. It is always sick when someone gets murdered, but it's also a whole different story when they weren't the one being targeted.

This afternoon is Abby's funeral. I helped her parents out with planning the ceremony. I also offered to pay for all of the funeral charges. As much as her parents declined my offer, I insisted even more. Abby deserves a beautiful ceremony.

I sat with Jane, Angela, and the rest of BPD. Across from all of us were Abby's friends and family. Between the two sections was her casket. When I went up to receive the communion, I kissed my fingertips and gently tapped the coffin. I know I'm not Catholic, but I did it for Abby.

Right before the ceremony was over, the choir stood up for one last song. Everyone was dressed in black with white tissues covering their faces. We all bowed our heads as the choir began to harmonize:

"You will dwell in the shelter of the Lord

Who abide in His shadow for life

Say to the Lord

My refuge, my rock in whom I trust"

Our cheeks were stained from our tears before they could get to the chorus. I looked over at Angela, whose face was buried in Jane's hair. Jane was hugging her mother and leaning over her head for comfort. Frankie, Cavanaugh, and Korsak were all sitting close to one another as well. I just sat there, watching everyone's sorrows take control over their bodies.

Then suddenly, it hit me when the choir group started singing the chorus:

"And He will raise you up on Eagles' Wings

Bear you on the breath of love

Make you to shine like the sun

And hold you in the Palm of His hand"

The pole bearers rose at the next verse and gently picked up the casket. As they slowly carried the casket down the aisle, the choir sang:

"The snare of the Fowler will never capture you

And famine will bring you no fear

Under His wings your refuge

His faithfulness your shield..."

They placed the casket at the end of the aisle, right in front of the door. Abby's parents rose from their seats and began to exit the church. The pole bearers picked up the coffin and lead them out. Jane, Angela, and I followed them as the choir sung the chorus one last time:

"And He will raise you up on Eagles' wings

Bear you up on the breath of love

Make you to shine like the sun

And hold you in the Palm of His hand."

I don't know what it is about the song, On Eagles' Wings, but it ends up making everyone cry. We would've been fine with any other song, but the church always picks this one. It was unbelievably upsetting- I could feel my makeup running down the side of my face. I ended up putting my attention on that.

We stood outside of the church and watched them hoist the casket up into the back of the hearse before driving to the cemetery. Jane walked over to where I was standing and asked, "Are you going to the cemetery? You can follow me."

I looked up at her with tears over flowing my eyes and answered, "No, I can't watch another child get buried. I'll meet you at the Dirty Robber."

"Are you sure?" she asked, rubbing my shoulder trying to comfort me.

"Yes, I'm sure. I'll save you and your mother a seat," I whispered as I walked away and into my car.

When I sat in the driver's seat and put my seatbelt on, I felt my emotions take over. I placed my hands on the steering wheel and leaned forward to rest my head against it. I quietly sobbed with my head down before driving away.

The drive was depressing and lonely. There was something about driving my yourself that always made me think. Not even just normally thinking. I would analyze every little detail of my life while driving alone. It just makes for one, long, depressing car ride.

I pulled up to the Dirty Robber and parked my car in the usual place. Looking at myself in the mirror, I tried to fix my makeup before going inside. I re-applied my mascara and lipstick as well as fixed ny hair. I saw the biker man sitting there on his motorcycle, in the same usual place. As I got out of my car, he got up off his Harley Davidson and came over to me.

"Down in the dumps lately?" he asked me. His voice was deep and incredibly sexy. It made my body temperature rise faster than Jane's did with Martinez.

I let out a small chuckle and answered, "Well, I guess you can say that."

"Well how about I buy you some dinner? That would make you feel better," he offered.

"I can't, I'm meeting some friends here. But thank you so much for the offer," I respectfully declined with a smile.

"Well a beautiful woman such as yourself shouldn't have a frown on her face."

He put the biggest smile on my face with that response. I don't know what it is about this man, but he captivates me in ways no one will ever understand. I replied, "That's sweet, thank you."

"At least allow me to get the door for you?" he smiled, walking me to the door.

Still with the enormous smile on my face, I told him, "I wish I can thank you, but I don't know your name."

"Oh, please call me Bret," he smiled, reaching his hand out to mine, shaking it. He continued, "And your name is...?"

"Maura," I smiled as we both walked towards the front door of the Dirty Robber.

"Well, it's nice to finally meet you, Maura," he said as he held the door open for me.