Jane's Visitor

"Abby?" I asked trying to look in the direction of the victim. "Stay here," I told Maura as I got up from the bench and made my way over.

As I approached the victim, it was like a rush of anxiety took over my body. There was Abby laying down with a stab wound in her neck, looking as if she bled out. I knelt down beside her and ran my fingers through her soft hair, "Poor sweet girl," I whispered. Trying to hold the tears back, I continued, "I'm so sorry this happened to you."

I stayed there kneeling for a few minutes. I kept thinking about what this life is going to be like without seeing Abby everyday. We've all grown so close to this young women- it's hard to think about life without her. Especially for Maura. She was so excited to have a roommate. Someone she can stay up all night with when I leave. I'm going to miss this little ray of sunshine as well. She was such a sweetheart and always brought BPD to life. There was never a day when Abby didn't have a smile pasted on her face.

It wasn't long before the tears were upon me. I quickly stood up and wiped underneath my nose with my palm. Turning to the nearest medical personnel, I announced, "Um, get her to BPD. And call Pike- Dr. Isles will not be completing this autopsy."

Making my way back over to Maura, I sat down and wrapped her in a hug. We both comforted each other with the loss of a precious colleague. "It'll be okay," I whispered to her.

"It's just terrible, Jane. She had her whole life ahead of her," Maura sobbed. This loss is going to be the hardest on Maura. Abby was basically Maura's little sister.

"I know," I replied.

"...she was going to go so far too."

"I know, Maura. Life isn't fair."

Before we could continue in conversation, Korsak and Cavanaugh made their way over to us. They looked as if someone dropped a bomb in their hearts. Abby's passing was definitely sudden and devastating- to say the least.

"Poor girl," Korsak said as he shook his head.

"We better keep this one from the media. This one isn't going to be good," Cavanaugh told us.

"Korsak, do you think you and Frankie can get this one?" I asked him.

"This is a hard one for everyone, Jane," Korsak replied.

"Yeah, she was apart of our team. No team member gets left behind. Rizzoli, Dr. Isles- this is still one of your cases. Pike is getting called off this one. We are all going to help Abigail," Cavanaugh added.

We mostly stayed quiet after Cavanaugh told all of us that. It's just unbelievable when one of your close coworkers pass away, let alone get murdered. This has always been a hard job, but I don't know how we're going to get past this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After a long day at work, I decided to leave. I gave Maura one last hug and walked out the door.

When I returned home, Ma was playing with Emma on the couch. She noticed how upset I was and asked me, "Tough day at work?"

I sat down next to her and reached for my baby. When I laid Emma on my chest, I softly hugged her and sighed, "Ma, I gotta tell you something."

She looked over at me with her full attention and lightly spoke, "Okay..."

Trying to hold my tears back, I looked over at Ma and said, "I went to the crime scene and saw Maura sitting down on a park bench."

"Okay..."

"When I went over to her, I noticed that she was in tears."

"Jane, will you just tell me?"

I looked away from my mother and put my eyes on my baby girl. A tear rolled down my cheek when I told her, "It was Abby."

"What?"

I looked over at my mother and noticed her eyes beginning to water. "Abby died, Ma."

She had such a depressed look on her face when she got up off of the couch and walked into the kitchen. Abby was just like a second daughter to my mother. I stood up and followed behind her. "She was stabbed," I began to explain before my mother cut me off.

"I don't want to hear any more," she said waving her hand back and forth.

"Ma, Maura and I have to work this case. Cavanaugh isn't letting us give it to the next detectives in line. Can you please watch over Emma for a few nights? I promise I'll still see her every day, I just need to work this one full time."

"Sure thing, baby," she replied as she kissed my cheek and took Emma from me. When she put the baby in her car, I gave them both another kiss.

I leaned over the car seat and gave Emma big kiss. I whispered, "Mommy will see you tomorrow. Bye, baby girl."

Watching my baby girl slowly drive away was the worst feeling in the world. I knew that this wasn't goodbye forever, but it sure felt like it. Waiting for tomorrow to come so I can see my baby again will be agony.

As I was eating dinner later that night, I heard someone knocking on my door. There was a part inside me that wanted to be my mother. It's only been two hours since they've left and I already already miss my baby.

When I walked over to the door, I looked through the peep hole. A very familiar face was standing right behind my door. This visit sent a wave of anger through my body. As I swung open the door, I threw my hand on my hip and just stared at the presence standing in front of me.

"Hello Jane," they whispered.

"Hi Casey."